Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Conchfish 14' (yes, fourteen feet) - any builds yet? About to pull the trigger on the plans.

1701 Views 40 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Bottlecap
Hey folks-- passed on the used Gheenoe as previously discussed and decided to build. Has anyone here tackled the (newer) 14' version of the Conchfish by CM? I haven't been able to find any builds via googling the interwebs. Looking to get a 14' for my fishing (95% of use, solo) in the ICW near Ocean Isle / Wilmington.

Love reading about the 16-footers, but for my first build I'm gonna need a smaller boat for my garage and budget.

Thanks!
Jeff
Reactions: Featherbrain
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I don't think you'll find one yet as it is so "new". A 14 footer will save a little money over a 16, but not a ton. A 16 footer won't fit?

Reactions: CoffeeRun

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I've always wondered if a key slot transom could be done on the Conchfish. (Think of the Hells Bay Pro) That and recessed tabs would free up a lot of room in tight garages.

Reactions: jonny and CoffeeRun

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always wondered if a key slot transom could be done on the Conchfish. (Think of the Hells Bay Pro) That and recessed tabs would free up a lot of room in tight garages.
Now that is an idea. I might have to discuss that with CR. These are the ideas I need as I share my garage with an amateur wood shop/ mini home gym/loft storage/fridge/etc.

I have heard of people storing their boats outside with covers, not sure how I feel about this. Would certainly prefer garage.

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,482 Posts
The cost you will save is 1 sheet of material, a few yards of glass and a gallon of epoxy. Build the 16.
Yep all the work and time would be the same. But you would only save maybe three hundred bucks.

· Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
361 Posts
Could save a bit if you get a folding tongue on the trailer.

If you can angle a bit it buys you room as well.

The 14 will mean less weight, less hp, etc. you want to balance things out to needs, space, etc.

I couldn’t imagine doing a build. That is a ton of work. I am sure you save money but for the sweat equity involved is it really cheaper?

· Registered
Beryllium 16’ build in progress
58 Posts
If you could swing the space for a 16 I don’t think you’ll regret it. Now I still think a 12 or 14 conch fish would be a blast to run around solo in. Which ever route you go it’s a great community and plenty of info and advice on here and instagram with CMJ builds. Best of luck with your decisions

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I'll have about $22k in my Conchfish build

Motor $7,500
Trailer $3,400
Resin $1,800
Cloth $1,600
Core $1,300
Paint - $1,000
Jack Plate $1,000
Poling Platform / Lean Bar $1,000
Trim Tabs $700
Prop $618
Rub rail $300
Fuel Tank $300
Carbon Marine tiller extension $275
Battery $180

All kinds of fasteners , electrical parts etc etc $$$$

· Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
361 Posts
Lol…I bought my NMZ for $3200. Big difference.

BUT….I would venture to say you have a better boat overall.

· Registered
44 Posts
Now that is an idea. I might have to discuss that with CR. These are the ideas I need as I share my garage with an amateur wood shop/ mini home gym/loft storage/fridge/etc.

I have heard of people storing their boats outside with covers, not sure how I feel about this. Would certainly prefer garage.
I have two boats in my garage. I pull them out with a trailer dolly when I need more space in the garage, a 16 ft boat is very easy to move around with a dolly.

· Registered
Gheenoe NMZ
361 Posts
Older Gheenoes are relatively cheap. Mine fits easy in my garage, works perfectly for where I use it to fish (protected bodies), costs a hell of a lot less to run than my bayboat, and is great for me as a solo angler. Keep them basic, there is no need to trick them out. Basic = light. Light = skinny.

On my NMZ I can stand on the front deck and fly fish by myself. I have no idea what it would be like with someone else in the boat because that hasn't happened yet. I can also paddle the NMZ with a SUP paddle from the front deck rather efficiently to move around in areas other boats can't go. I have punched it through some of the nastiest grass mats chasing snakeheads.

· Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
2,178 Posts
Difference in cost and effort between building the 14 and 16 will be minimal. Cost and effort between building a CF and buying a Gheenoe is monumental. Two completely different outcomes though, just depends what your goals are.

Also to add - even with the extra design effort extending the 16 to 17.8 and changing the transom (the 17.5 plans didn't exist yet), I still have no regrets whatsoever going for the extra length.

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,569 Posts
I modified and combined a couple versions of CM plans and others to build a skiff similar to what you will end up with. It really depends what kind of fishing you are doing and where. I wanted something like a solo skiff that I could take two people on, that could run much shallower, and get me into places I like to go faster than a solo. I wanted something small enough to fit where a solo or gheenoe could go as well, but, run shallower than either of them. No one makes this because there is no real market for it. The shadow cast was kind of close. I already have another HB for "regular" skiff duties. Something like this is really specialized. Gheenoes and solo skiffs cant run skinny. If you don't need that, get one of those.

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,482 Posts
I'll have about $22k in my Conchfish build

Motor $7,500
Trailer $3,400
Resin $1,800
Cloth $1,600
Core $1,300
Paint - $1,000
Jack Plate $1,000
Poling Platform / Lean Bar $1,000
Trim Tabs $700
Prop $618
Rub rail $300
Fuel Tank $300
Carbon Marine tiller extension $275
Battery $180

All kinds of fasteners , electrical parts etc etc $$$$
Yep the home builds are rewarding. But still takes a lump of cash to get it all together. Compared to buying new you will save $10k minimum. But it will also take you about a year for completion in most cases.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts