Concerns new to me Hobie Power Skiff

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Johnathan, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Johnathan

Johnathan I Love microskiff.com!

Hi all, new member here.
    I recently bought an 86 Hobie Power Skiff 16' 60 hp Johnson. This boat has been very well used. There is some damage to the hull: a hole that has been patched about the size of quarter up on the side, fiberglass showing along the bottom peak, and some blistering underneath near the transom with no fiberglass showing. Also I'm sure the transom is rotten. The bottom bolts are sunken in some an stress cracks surrounding them. I can't get any movement from it.
    I want to run the boat but I don't want to cause the damage to spread or get worse. I'm going to remove the bolts reseal them and install a new plug but I don't really have the money for professional repairs at the moment. I would like be fishing until I save up. I have no experience with boating other than an old Jon boat. Should I consider running this boat?[​IMG][/URL][/img][/img]

2. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Run it. Yea it will get a little worse, but not anything unfixable. Just slow down in a chop and don't run aground. And seal up everything.

3. Johnathan

4. Johnathan

I like that attitude. Is there any way to seal the places underneath? Paint?

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Rough it up with sandpaper, wipe with acetone and coat with epoxy.

Reseal the bolts and use it. Just keep an eye on the damaged area and repair properly at the time of necessity.