Computer Help - HDD Enclosures

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by salt_and_light, May 16, 2007.

1. Hey! I want to purchase a HDD enclosure for backing up my computer and laptop. I see that there are 2.5" enclosures and 3.5" enclosures but I can't figure out the differences, other than the obvious size difference.

Is someone able to help me out. I have a standard 100GB Western Digital HD that I want to put into a USB-connected enclosure. Should I get a 2.5" or 3.5"?

Thanks,

Ron

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Just to confirm. This is the size drive that fits in a full size PC and not a laptop. Correct? If that is the case you will want a 5.25. Here is a link to one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817113012

Every geek I know uses Newegg. If you want to look around a different sizes and types then check out the advanced search features.

[​IMG]

3. tom_in_orl

Hmmm, just noticed you can buy 3.5 inch enclosures. This should still fit a standard drive.

4. My HD is a standard PC drive. I am still confused on the differences between a 2.5" and a 3.5" enclosure. The specs don't seem to provide any explainations.

I am pretty sure that the above refers to the size of the enclosure, but what's the significance with regards to their use?

5. tom_in_orl

2.5 is for a smaller drive usually found in a laptop. If you do some surfing around the newegg site you will see you can buy laptop drives with 2.5 external enclosures. You can also buy standard PC hard drives with 3.5 enclosures.

6. Now, I'm even more confused. My HD measures (as taken from Western Digitals web site):

Height 1.028 Inches (Max)
    Length 5.787 Inches (Max)
    Width 4.00 Inches (+/- 0.010 inch)

Newegg lists the following HDD Enclosure sizes:

1.8"
    2.5"
    3.5"
    5.25"

Obviously, I'm not understanding something!!

7. tom_in_orl

Go to your local computer store and show them the drive. They will match up an enclosure for you. If you don't like their price walk out and buy it online.

If that is too much hassle then just order this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817605004

8. Can't go wrong with a "fits any size" enclosure!

Thanks!