Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the excellent posts by Backwater on the Seaguar Threadlock Impact Braid 16 strand Hollow core. It comes in white and blue. Which color are folks using? Does it matter that it is not yellow or another bright color? - Eric

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a mix of it. It used to come in an Olive Green as well. It honestly doesn't make all that much of a difference to me. The brighter color could help the guide see it but I have not had any issues. You can also run it as a top shot if you don't want to use a ton of it on one reel for cost savings. Run 100yds as a topshot and just Micron or another more inexpensive backing as the bottom.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have blue and white based on what was less expensive at the time of need. I don't think it matters much what color you use. Its just preference, IMO. I use it on reels where maybe I wished they held more backing. It cures that problem. I have blue 50 and white 80. The 80 will splice onto fly lines that the 50 won't.

Be sure to get or make the right tools to splice. A piece of leader wire bent in half is the basic tool. You can splice Threadlock directly to your fly line, itself, other braids or make loops that you will never feel going through the guides. No knots is a good thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Chris and Hank,

I really appreciate that. I like the idea of a topshot. Also I will be sure to get the right splicing tools.

Tight Lines - Eric

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thanks Chris and Hank,

I really appreciate that. I like the idea of a topshot. Also I will be sure to get the right splicing tools.

Tight Lines - Eric
Eric,
Since I do not have to splice very often I don't have Daho needles or anything fancy. I use a folded piece of single strand wire like Hank mentioned. It is very simple and there is a fairly decent video on youtube to walk you through the steps. Here is the link.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,422 Posts
I have blue and white based on what was less expensive at the time of need. I don't think it matters much what color you use. Its just preference, IMO. I use it on reels where maybe I wished they held more backing. It cures that problem. I have blue 50 and white 80. The 80 will splice onto fly lines that the 50 won't.

Be sure to get or make the right tools to splice. A piece of leader wire bent in half is the basic tool. You can splice Threadlock directly to your fly line, itself, other braids or make loops that you will never feel going through the guides. No knots is a good thing.
I like nail knots and pliobond

Reactions: searun

·
Registered
224 Posts
I like nail knots and pliobond
You’d - love - splices if you ever tried them.
Promise.
And I use a nail knot with pliobond to finish off a braid to flu line splice. So, this doesn’t mean you need to forget your knots. It just means there is something better if you want to go a bit further in your rigging.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
85 Posts
What experience is there with fitting a hollow braid loop over a flyline running line (substitute for factory loop)?

·
Registered
HB Marquesa
394 Posts
I do this on the back of all my 8 wt and up lines. Very strong and smooth, plus it still allows for easy line changes vs splicing the fly line into the hollow core.

What experience is there with fitting a hollow braid loop over a flyline running line (substitute for factory loop)?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Had a member ask about splicing braid onto a fly line and thought others might like to read up on the subject of braid and splicing lines and loops:

Splicing 101
Here you go. Once you see how easy it is you will be tempted to try it and get rid of the bimini. I will adjust my loop sizes accordingly. When you are adjusting the loop size make sure you are making the adjustment by pulling the main line. If the tag line is changing the loop size you did...
www.microskiff.com
www.microskiff.com

Hollow braid splicing question
So I am setting up a Tibor Gulfstream for Tarpon and went with 80 lb power pro hollow core for backing. Now I'd really like to insert the fly line into the power pro and have a nice smooth connection. So far I can't get the fly line far enough into the pp to make any kind of connection. Ideas...
www.microskiff.com
www.microskiff.com

Braided loops for fly lines - or...
I am getting ready to do a little surgery on some of my fly lines. 9 and 10 weights mostly, cutting off a bit of the front end to get better turn over. And another line that comes without loops. Back in the day I usually used a needle knot with heavy monofilament and a perfection loop (or just...
www.microskiff.com
www.microskiff.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the idea of using braid as a top shot. However on one of my reels I would like to connect the braid directly to the spool. Has anyone had success or issues with this? Which technique did you use to connect the braid to the spool?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just poked the braid through a hole in the base of the spool, back in and knotted. No chance of spinning on the spool.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Eric,
Since I do not have to splice very often I don't have Daho needles or anything fancy. I use a folded piece of single strand wire like Hank mentioned. It is very simple and there is a fairly decent video on youtube to walk you through the steps. Here is the link.

@TheAdamsProject , in the video, could you just run the spool of the hollow core through the loop of the wire (like you do with a loop in the backing around the fly line spool to make a loop to loop connection) instead of making the wire go around itself?

·
Registered
724 Posts
@TheAdamsProject , in the video, could you just run the spool of the hollow core through the loop of the wire (like you do with a loop in the backing around the fly line spool to make a loop to loop connection) instead of making the wire go around itself?
I would have to try it but I believe you need to flip the wire to be sure the loop does not pull out. One of the biggest faults with those store bought braided mono fly line loops is they just tuck the tag end into the main strand of mono braid which allows it to just pull out. Same principle with this. Again, I could be wrong and would have to test it myself but that is one thing to watch out for when creating these spliced loops.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would have to try it but I believe you need to flip the wire to be sure the loop does not pull out. One of the biggest faults with those store bought braided mono fly line loops is they just tuck the tag end into the main strand of mono braid which allows it to just pull out. Same principle with this. Again, I could be wrong and would have to test it myself but that is one thing to watch out for when creating these spliced loops.

I totally agree. My question is that once you punch the wire loop out of the hollow core (2:40 in the video) it seems to me that having the spool go through the wire loop would give you the same result as flipping the wire. About the 4:40 mark of the video he shows and says "It's essentially running the main line through the eye of the needle". I figured with the loop that big, you could actually run the reel/spool through the eye of the needle/loop instead of flipping the wire around itself.

Thanks for the heads up about watching out to make sure the loop catches itself. I will be doing some rigging next week and it will be my first time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts