Cold ! Ask Al ! He Invented the Internet !

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by noeettica, Jan 8, 2010.

1. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

How's that Whole "Global Warming" thing workin For Ya ?

[​IMG]

2. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

Hahaha, they had some scientist on the news about it. They said there is normal fluctuations in tempature from hot and cold. But we should start seeing less record cold temps in the future because the long term trend is warming.

3. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

Just like it did 100,000 years ago and will flip again in another 100,000. Lets not forget that pretty soon the north and south pole will flip soon also... seriously it will, look it up if you dont believe me!

4. gheenoeguy

gheenoeguy Well-Known Member

It's all about making a ton of money and having control over the whole country!

5. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

Was listening to talk radio yesterday and some guy called in from Palmer Station, Antarctica. It was warmer there than in Jacksonville.

I might go along with some of this global warming stuff, but don't preach to me until you can tell me why the last ice age ended about 20,000 years before the internal combustion engine was invented.  ;)

In the past they were known as "snake oil salesmen", or "con men". In the future they will be known as "Al Gores".

6. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I think Milankovitch answers a lot of your questions. I am non-political and have never dealt with social science (if I had a choice) There is a good deal in print on the information at Wiko. Not a whole lot of it is written in english, or at least english that hasn't been translated from some other language. (makes it hard to understand) It is an accepted theory that ice ages have been occuring about every 26,000 years or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

Now lets see if we can use any of these data to predict the next shrimp run at Sebastian.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

7. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I ran into this which is a nice representation and well explained.

http://www.homepage.montana.edu/~geol445/hyperglac/time1/milankov.htm

Best regards,
    Frank_S

8. Canoeman

Canoeman Well-Known Member

Interesting reading. I knew of the cycles, but not by name. Thanks Frank.

I can agree with the global warming proponents, but only as to the percentage of warming actually attributable to humans. I have yet to hear any scientist present that percentage along with supporting data.

Once someone figures that out, then maybe they can tell us exactly how much it would slow the warming trend if we decrease emissions by (x) percentage points. Since we have trouble predicting tomorrow's weather, I have serious doubts about anyone's ability to predict long term climate trends.

I'm sure the calculations are not this simple, but I think they basically compile average temps from past years and create a trend line for future prediction, which is absolutly... (fill in the blank).

You're right about the shrimp run. That would be a useful prediction. :)