Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on draining the cockpit of my Baycraft 180 tunnel explorer whilst docked overnight.

Only docked it for first time in past few days whilst visiting Cudjoe. In the past it's been on a trailer and I always leave open the cockpit 'self bailing' ports on each side of the cockpit (as advised by the manufacturer). No big problem - any rainwater overnight drains out. However when it's docked these ports are underwater so you can't open them (at least not without flooding the boat with seawater). So if it rains the boat will fill with water, as there's nowhere else for the water to go.

Can't get any info from the manufacturer.

I know a lot of boats have cockpits drains to the bilges so won't have this problem. Do other people have this situation? What is the best approach? Heavy rain is forecast on Tuesday!!

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,822 Posts
Leave them out if you're worried about it, then put then back in whIle running, once the cockpit is drained.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I'm looking for some advice on draining the cockpit of my Baycraft 180 tunnel explorer whilst docked overnight.

Only docked it for first time in past few days whilst visiting Cudjoe. In the past it's been on a trailer and I always leave open the cockpit 'self bailing' ports on each side of the cockpit (as advised by the manufacturer). No big problem - any rainwater overnight drains out. However when it's docked these ports are underwater so you can't open them (at least not without flooding the boat with seawater). So if it rains the boat will fill with water, as there's nowhere else for the water to go.

Can't get any info from the manufacturer.

I know a lot of boats have cockpits drains to the bilges so won't have this problem. Do other people have this situation? What is the best approach? Heavy rain is forecast on Tuesday!!
Put a temporary bilge in the cockpit with a hose over the deck and wire it into your battery. Just remove and store when not in use. Just make sure it has a float on it or you can sleep in the boat with a bucket over night :)

·
Brandon, FL
10,974 Posts
I would normally agree with Travis but not in this case. I would not want water sitting in and weeping in places it should not be causing damage. Water will seep places you never imagine.

I agree with backcountry and weight one side down so all the water drains to one corner.

·
Registered
960 Posts
What is the purpose of weighing one corner so the water gathers there? For the bilge pump to remove it?

What is the purpose of a “self bailing” hull if it doesn’t self bail?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a spare bilge pump at present, but maybe that is something I'll have to get. I don't fancy leaving the ports open and letting seawater into the cockpit. Though thinking back when I had a Boston Whaler years ago I think that is what we did. Though that was freshwater. I'm a bit paranoid about seawater.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts