Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
2,316 Posts
I don't know about fishing for them in the Chesapeake but here in the Gulf, I like to throw poppers. I'll try to keep it away from them a few times to get them lit up then let them eat and enjoy the ride. I've had some absolute explosive eats from them doing that. They also seem to react well to flies that have lots of movement. I bet a dragon tail would be a good choice simulating an eel as well as a decent sized crab pattern and baitfish pattern. Of course they can be a very finicky fish and sometimes, just not eat.

· Registered
6,127 Posts
Way down south along the coast of the 'glades I tell my anglers not to let a cobe get good look or follow a fly if at all possible.... Simply take it away from him if he doesn't attack on sight... Make a few false casts then present it again using the same routine... That cobia will soon turn on after once or twice not getting to eat it...

the Southern Deceiver, size 4/0

the Tarpon Snake (various colors) also size 4/0

We mostly use large baitfish flies and are working fish on shallow wrecks (less than 20 feet of water..) or around markers... If working a fish around a marker be ready to go to zero drag if it runs around the marker... Then you get to shout at whoever is running the skiff until they move around the marker and clear your line as the fish finally runs away from the marker...

Hope this helps, and if all else fails bring a well full of small bait and live chum them until they'd hit a beer can before tossing a fly at one...

· Registered
6,127 Posts
Yesterday, doing some solo exploring along the Gulf coast of the 'glades using spinning gear - not fly fishing... I had a small cobia follow a hooked fish to my skiff -in only three feet of water. The cobe was undersized, about 30 inches, and before I could do something about him a small shark, about four feet long crunched the small fish out from under him - and that was that...

Just nothing like the 'glades, nothing... where else can you be poling onto big tarpon in five to eight feet of water and come up on a cobia - nearly six feet long....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.