Cobia on fly

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by State fish rob, May 19, 2017.

1. State fish rob

State fish rob Active Member

got a cobia trip tmrw. Any suggestions on fly patterns.

2. Pierson

Pierson Well-Known Member

A long eel like pattern. Black, pink, or chartreuse would be the popular color. A simple fly would be a long zonker strip 5" or so with an EP head.

3. Financekid1

Financekid1 I Love microskiff.com!

Def use zonker tail! That is good advice above. I found that black and purple works really well! I have also seen luck with black and chartruese

State fish rob likes this.
  4. blackmagic1

blackmagic1 I Love microskiff.com!

If they're keyed on crabs , I'd throw anything with a drifting/swimming crab silhouette. I've seen them turn down everything fish/eel shaped then engulf a mangrove leaf drifting by.

5. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

This is on my bucket list...have thrown at some on fly but no takers yet. Good luck!

6. State fish rob

State fish rob Active Member

Looks like i'll be wrapping some hooks. Thx to all

7. damthemainstream

damthemainstream Active Member

GLWCOF

8. rakeel

rakeel I Love microskiff.com!

What I've found for cobia, at least nearshore in Texas, is that the fly isn't as important as much as the presentation and the presentation is definitely a unique one.

The cobia I find are generally hanging around the surface near some structure and are pretty curious. So what I do is cast a fly off to the side of them. This will usually cause the fish to turn to the plop of the fly. When they do that, I'll immediately pick the fly back up and cast to the side of it or behind it. I'll repeat this until they're spinning around frantically looking for the fly, then I'll drop the fly in front of them. They rarely turn it down at that point.

9. Financekid1

Financekid1 I Love microskiff.com!

I like rakeels strategy! Another thing I will mention is strip that sucker fast! I have found the faster I can get that fly moving the more likely they are to not be able to resist it! I dont know where you will be fishing, but here in St. Augustine, we fish them off the rays a mile off the beach.

10. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

So much depends on where you find them (water depth, structure, bait presence, etc) that I hesitate to provide a "how to" for cobes on fly. When hungry they'll eat anything at all - when not... they'll follow your fly and leave you talking to yourself - at least that's been my experience along the salty portions of the Everglades.

There are one or two things you can do to greatly increase your odds... The first trick is dead simple - don't cast a fly at them until someone on your skiff has hooked up then toss your fly right on top of the hooked fish (cobia love to follow a hooked fish and will attack anything near another struggling cobia....). The next trick is similar to what rakeel advised - only this is about followers... don't allow it at all. If a fish follows halfway back to the boat pick up the fly (snatch it right away from the follower) then slap it back down in front of him. Many times a fish will just turn on and attack something that appeared to get away for a moment ('cudas fall for this trick as well...). My last trick is one we've used over and over with every kind of gear around markers, buoys and other kinds of structure you find cobes, permit, and other big fast fish that immediately run for structure the moment you hook up.... Simply open your bail on a spinner or free-spool a conventional reel (hard to do this on fly but very possible if you're quick in backing off the drag... The next part is up to the boat's skipper - he (or she) has to charge right at the hazard while looking sharp to see which side the line is on then quickly circle 'round the object until your line is clear so that you actually have a chance.... When there's no pressure at all on the line any rubs along structure hardly leave a mark (if you don't go to zero drag... nothing will save you....). Once you're clear of trouble then you can go back to fighting drag and do your best not to allow that fish to get back to "home base"...

Hope this helps... where I am we're just now getting to the time of year when shallow wrecks off the coast of the 'Glades get to be real attractive for folks in small skiffs (My old Maverick is not quite 17' and the nearest wreck is ten miles off the coast....). The one I'm most familiar with will have a school of permit and a few cobes anytime you pay a visit (but also has the size goliaths that will eat a 15lb permit like it was a cookie...).

11. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Ok... I lost ya there... :oops:

12. damthemainstream

damthemainstream Active Member

Do you know what GLWS means in the context of Microskiff posts? Now go back and look and the title of the thread and the contents of it.

fishn&flyn likes this.
  13. sidelock

sidelock I Love microskiff.com!

Good luck with cobia on fly !

damthemainstream likes this.
  14. bananabob

bananabob I Love microskiff.com!

Another trick when they just tend to follow but not grab is to make the next shot slightly over their head (tricky) so you can drag the fly right over their eyes. This will usually piss them off to the point of hitting the fly out of anger. Kind of like when a mosquito gets right in your face...