Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up in the panhandle, in the Destin, FWB area. Anyone who fishes up here they know this time of the year is Cobia Mania, but the fishing now is not what it use to be. The grade of Fish and the amount seen is way down. I don't know if it has to do with the oil spill or over fishing. But the days of seeing multiple wads of fish is over. I have fished all day multiple days and not seen one fish. That was unheard of a just a few years back. Its sad to say but they need to shut it down. We need to get the numbers back to where they were. They use catch fish in 90's out here haven't seen one of those in a long time caught off the beach.

·
Rex Kwan Do Dojo
1,972 Posts
Well that sucks! Once I finally get a big boat I wanted to go up that way and sight fish for those cobes.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,000 Posts
The're still doing pretty well in NC.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,185 Posts
Agree, the Panhandle numbers have been declining for awhile. I asked the FWC to consider making cobia a game fish (no commercial sale like reds) at a public hearing one time and they wouldn't even discuss that option.

There have been a few nice fish caught in the Big Bend the last couple of weeks, including a 80 & 60-pounder. More boats are targeting them here, but they're still not getting the pressure like further west.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Most of the time basic fishery conservation measures will go a long way to bringing back a resource that's getting hammered and in decline as a result...

Along with all the folks fishing them, cobia are prized table fare. Get together with your local CCA chapter and see if you can come up with a proposal that limit's the catch in your part of the state. Who knows - you might succeed. Yes it's a commercial specie -but I can guarantee that a bunch of "recreational" anglers aren't exactly turning the big fish loose - the way they should...

I've been around long enough to see this happen to more than one specie down here in south Florida where I am and I doubt it's much different at the far end of the state. In the end, though, sound conservation practices and the rules to go with them will make quite a difference...

·
Plays with Glass...
656 Posts
They seem to be everywhere here in South FL. I think the shark numbers increasing have made them a little easier to catch on accident. They are not big though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts