Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Don’t forget the lube for easy penetration.
Was getting ear drops tonight at walmart and the lube was next to the ear drops! When The Fawk did Walmart start selling vibrating lady pleasers?🤣 Can’t make that shit up! Thought they’d need like a xxx license?

· I Love Skinny Water
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I looked at all the through hull metal bolts and the all have holes down the middle, that won’t work and none are black

· Registered
761 Posts
I looked at all the through hull metal bolts and the all have holes down the middle, that won’t work and none are black
I think it would be a good idea to post a picture or two of your setup - inside and outside view. I think a threaded, not barbed, brass thru-hull fitting like the one posted above with some pipe dope and a bronze cap tightened on the bilge side would be good enough.

· I Love Skinny Water
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I took my bird dogs out and got under my boat. Here two plastic covers over the through holes
Tire Automotive tire Aircraft Tread Vehicle

· Registered
761 Posts
I took my bird dogs out and got under my boat. Here two plastic covers over the through holes
I'm guessing they are scoop/pickups to funnel the water up the thru-hull fitting? If I were in your shoes, it would be easier to order the correct size bronze thru-hull fittings, remove the old fittings (and these plastic covers), install the new ones properly using 3M 4200, and cap or plug them so they will never leak. IMO, it would be more difficult to properly patch the holes with glass and gelcoat to where the repair will be as strong as when the hull was new. You would have to glass in several layers of cloth in an area larger than the size of the hole in the bilge. You would also have to fill-in the void of the hole with bonding putty and/or fairing compound, sand it, then gelcoat it.

You could use this thru-hull fitting which would act as a high speed water pickup by itself (if you ever want to use them again for the live well), and ditch the plastic covers:

Hope this helps.

Reactions: rickc

· Registered
5,905 Posts
Looking at the photo -what's installed on either side of your keel are high speed pickups with strainers.. If they're like the one I have, the strainers are just covers secured with screws that direct the water flow while also acting as a strainer to keep debris out of your water pickup. If you choose to leave them in place, simply remove the strainers then plug each fitting from the outside in, then replace the strainers.... A plug in place should last forever and have the added bonus of being removable if you later decide to re- activate those water pickups... A better job would be to remove them entirely and glass the holes - not a hard job for a competent glass shop - but not so easy for a boat owner not familiar with glass work.... If you do remove them and do a proper repair each installation will return to a smooth water flow in that area... and just maybe a mile or two per hour gain in speed over the water - but that will hardly be noticeable. One other alternative is to leave them in place but add a shut-off valve to each pickup inside your hull so that it no longer functions unless you turn on the valve. Looking at where those two pickups are..... what access to them inside your hull do you have ? That by itself will dictate what you choose do do since they may not be very accessible at all (that's the case in many through hull installations in the bottom of a hull....).

Hope this helps and post up what you finally choose to do, please..

· I Love Skinny Water
7,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm guessing they are scoop/pickups to funnel the water up the thru-hull fitting? If I were in your shoes, it would be easier to order the correct size bronze thru-hull fittings, remove the old fittings (and these plastic covers), install the new ones properly using 3M 4200, and cap or plug them so they will never leak. IMO, it would be more difficult to properly patch the holes with glass and gelcoat to where the repair will be as strong as when the hull was new. You would have to glass in several layers of cloth in an area larger than the size of the hole in the bilge. You would also have to fill-in the void of the hole with bonding putty and/or fairing compound, sand it, then gelcoat it.

You could use this thru-hull fitting which would act as a high speed water pickup by itself (if you ever want to use them again for the live well), and ditch the plastic covers:

Hope this helps.
Thanks @SkiffaDeeDooDah i don’t even know what faring compound is and don’t want to
I just want to find those fittings that are solid and a flat head

21 - 31 of 31 Posts