Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ya'll ... this trip is finally upon me. Leaving Houston tuesday and heading to englewood and manasota key with family and skiff. Will be there Friday and for a week. Saw a few spot recommendations on other threads but was wondering if anyone would be up for some poling/fishing with me and my daughter. First time in that area .... and would like to scout stump pass to boca grande ....

T

·
0 Posts
Stay in the channel as outside of it is a no wake zone & fish talk radio reported tickets being handed out from Lemon Bay down thru Gaspirilla Sound this morning.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the news! Stay in the channel and idle to fishing spots. How do you measure "no wake"? How do you dial in the fish talk radio?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am local to the area and can give you some pointers, where are you launching?
Hi Atomic ... no idea! I will be in Bradenton until Saturday and the down there. Found a few launches to go off but not sure what is good or recommended. I will take any willing advice and feedback! I am staying a stone throw away from wannaBe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Rocky Creek is real close right off Placida by Skips Marina, the mangrove islands around Stump Pass especially where there is a drop off are holding big sheeps and schools of snook, most under sized but there are some big ones mixed in.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ending up leaving the boat at Chadwick cove marina due to the bridge closure. Easier this way. Ran to stump pass and some of the mangroves. Few snook sightings (including a big one) but no takes yet. What sort of fly do you recommend for the mangroves?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not a fly fisher but shrimp are a good go to. Someone more familiar with fly fishing might be able to help you better!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
191 Posts
My go to mangrove fly for snook is a small (1 or 2) all white "schminnow" pattern. I've had great luck with it on lights at night and right at and under the mangroves in the mornings.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks ... will give that a shot tomorrow! Will head down towards placida and gasparillo to try that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts