Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_4990.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
Got the idea from the popping/ click cork so popular with plastics underneath or live shrimp. Prolly lotta guys have used a popper with a clousers underneath for specks and reds. We ain't got snooks... sometimes they want just a click and not a loud pop. Couple are very loud and can be heard others more subtle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
IMG_5010.JPG
IMG_5072.JPG
I got carried away and added spinner from a Devils Horse plug. I can still flycast them but it's pushing limit... raided the crappie minnow tackle box. I started to use tubing like coffee stirrers, Qtips for the insert. The trick is you gotta get ereything over the hook bend thus split the cork and re glue. The ones with wire no sweat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,973 Posts
View attachment 69728 View attachment 69730 I got carried away and added spinner from a Devils Horse plug. I can still flycast them but it's pushing limit... raided the crappie minnow tackle box. I started to use tubing like coffee stirrers, Qtips for the insert. The trick is you gotta get ereything over the hook bend thus split the cork and re glue. The ones with wire no sweat.
Design limits being maxed out, probably a new trout/red sensation. Like shad rig in 50/60's

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_3799.PNG
Yeh I get static a lot from my creations and ideas and prolly don't need to post them here. I tried all these with a 6 wt and yeh they are a handfull but not with my 10 wt, 12wts. I got the initial idea from a bud who fashioned a popping cork with 2 clousers under it. Yeh gotta open your loop. Great thing about fly tackle you can go big and tiny. I tie #20 midges along with lotta 7/0 stuff. I'll keep my stuff to my self. The lil red ate the purple shrimp then hit the popper at the same time

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Yeah throwing hardware to reds on a 12wt is not my idea of fun. I will tell you that I've thrown many things with flies attached to it on ultra light spinning rods and it is more fun than the above. One of my favorite pompano rigs on light spinning rods is a Doc's Goofy jig with a shrimp color or pink bonefish fly as the teaser. That rig also seems to catch everything. I've also had my kids throw weighted popping corks or cajun clackers with clousers under it for trout, when I'm casting a 6wt at them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'll keep my stuff to my self.
Why?! Looks innovative. May not appeal to every fly fisherman, but I'd give a scaled down version a try. Mine won't look pretty but I'm sure it would do the trick. Thanks for the inspiration for something new to break up the monotony.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Have been experimenting with a large size thingamabobber as a substitute popping cork. Works sometimes pretty well. Seems best when used with a crafty shrimp type fly. Don't worry about it. Some still get their shorts in a knot if it isn't a dry cast upstream.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
158 Posts
View attachment 69712 View attachment 69714 Got the idea from the popping/ click cork so popular with plastics underneath or live shrimp. Prolly lotta guys have used a popper with a clousers underneath for specks and reds. We ain't got snooks... sometimes they want just a click and not a loud pop. Couple are very loud and can be heard others more subtle.
What are the little black cylinders that go into the popper body made from?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Robbed the inserts from slip corks at first but found any tube like coffee stirrers or qtips with the light weight jewelry beads or plastic beads clicks just fine. Like I said the trick is getting it all over the hook bend and leave a little slack for movement. The bead just rest against the feather tails. The ones with the wire split ring whatever for trailer. Unlike the click corks the bugs just click on the jerk no fall back click that I hear in the water like regular pop/click corks that are so popular around here on conventional stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts