Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I e been trying to figure out a way to cleanly route wires in some spaces. I've got chase tubes and such, but for stuff like running a wire up a bulkhead and under a gunnel what do you guys like?

There are seveal options I've looked at, screw loops, self adhesive tabs, hot glue....

I don't like the idea of screwing into things, to many small holes waiting for trouble. Do the self adhesive tabs actually stay on for years? If so where do you get the good ones. Any issues with hot glue on small guage wires?

·
BBA Counselor
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bulkheads are only 3/8" and the hull sides are 1/4". So really there aren't many areas I could use a screw even if I needed too.

Maybe I'll just mold some tabs out of junk resin and bond them in where I need to.

Or would using 5200 work for these?

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,164 Posts
My bulkheads are only 3/8" and the hull sides are 1/4". So really there aren't many areas I could use a screw even if I needed too.

Maybe I'll just mold some tabs out of junk resin and bond them in where I need to.

Or would using 5200 work for these?
5200 will definitely adhere and if you want to remove it you’ll need constant pressure and a heat gun to get it to release. In your case you probably have scrap materials and epoxy left over so adding some tabs to screw to would probably be the way to go. I know you are ready to get that boat finished though!

B

·
0 Posts
The 5200 if surfaces prepped properly and clamped long enough will most certainly “stick”!

·
BBA Counselor
7,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm leaning towards using the plastic tabs with some 5200. I was going to make some tabs, but it's not worth the work when I can get 100 plastic ones for $7 off amazon.

For the small LED's I think I might still try the hot glue in the corners. They use 22-24ga wire, which is so small it's hard get pressure on then with the zip tie.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,164 Posts
I’d test the 5200 with the plastic tab to make sure it sticks. You might get better adhesion by scorching the back of the plastic with a mini torch. That’s how you get adhesive to stick to Starboard.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
691 Posts
I used the cheap Lowe's tabs for my chartplotter. They have been good so far. I just cleaned the surface with alcohol. I used 3m double sided clear tape for my LEDs and they are rock solid. If the tabs come off I will use that tape. Not permanent like 5200.

Just to note it was under gunnel LED strips.

B

·
0 Posts
3m double sided automotive molding tape! Spray the back of your plastic with some plastic adhesion promoter once cured to whatever the can says attatch the tape to the plastic. Clean boat thouroghly with wax and grease remover and attach your tabs. In my experience, they won’t come off!

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,516 Posts
Epoxy glass wood hull, right?
As has been previously recommended,
small wood blocks epoxied in place
then screw into the blocks.
I used pressure treated to tie my cooler down.
Been there 10 years now, no rot, no loose screws.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts