Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Playing around with the idea of building a Snake Bight 18 12 degree with either a 70 or 90 Yami. I've fished out of a few and a few of the guides I fish with often just took delivery of three almost identical mangroves with 60 tohatsus. So my question is; I know they're great boats, but I have heard stories of boats delaminating, and the owners being less than helpful during the build process? Has anyone else had these problems? I spoke to Hal at last year's Saint Pete boat show, and he seemed like a guy who was very passionate about his fishing, the environment, and the boats that he builds.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I personally haven’t heard of any delaminations. They were extremely helpful with me during my build. Mind you I never made any last minute changes etc. those can be a pain in the ass I imagine especially mid build, it can be a nightmare I would think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've heard of Chittum's skiffs delaminating?
Yes. After speaking to a few guides and other manufacturers (I know they were probably bullshitting me) I heard they have had some minor issues since the carbon is so dense nd it’s hard to pull the resin through. But I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of it happening.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
@Chopsflyfishes ,

Have followed Chittum pretty closely over the last 3-4 years & owned a few; 2 new builds. Unaware of any delaminations. There was a case when 2 early boats were kept in a garage for an extended period of time after the owner passed away. Some of those early boats had bladder fuel tanks, which failed. At least one of the boats from the estate went through a rebuild process in which the deck had waffling from soft core/ fuel fumes. Some photos were posted on this forum.

The boat I run is a full carbon SnakeBight with F70. It was the first full carbon boat (2018 Skiff Challenge). It’s very solid after running through tremendous conditions.

Hal, George and the team were very responsive on my 2 builds. As @sotilloa1078 points out, it’s best to avoid change orders.

Which 90 were you thinking about & why?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes. After speaking to a few guides and other manufacturers (I know they were probably bullshitting me) I heard they have had some minor issues since the carbon is so dense nd it’s hard to pull the resin through. But I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of it happening.
I’m pretty sure they were bullshitting you. And I’m sure I know of a certain manufacture or two that would be real quick to start the smack talking.
Like @Stevie said. The boats are solid. The “widow maker” down in the keys has been run harder and faster than any other skiff in a very long time if not ever and there is not one thing structurally wrong with it. Not one stress crack.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Chopsflyfishes ,

Have followed Chittum pretty closely over the last 3-4 years & owned a few; 2 new builds. Unaware of any delaminations. There was a case when 2 early boats were kept in a garage for an extended period of time after the owner passed away. Some of those early boats had bladder fuel tanks, which failed. At least one of the boats from the estate went through a rebuild process in which the deck had waffling from soft core/ fuel fumes. Some photos were posted on this forum.

The boat I run is a full carbon SnakeBight with F70. It was the first full carbon boat (2018 Skiff Challenge). It’s very solid after running through tremendous conditions.

Hal, George and the team were very responsive on my 2 builds. As @sotilloa1078 points out, it’s best to avoid change orders.

Which 90 were you thinking about & why?
That was probably what they were refereeing to. I was going to go with the Yami 90SHO or the Merc 90 four stroke. I'd prefer the Yamaha since I run a 115 SHO right now, but its very heavy. I figure if I can get the same speeds and save some weight over the 115 then it might be worth the extra $$. I'm debating between the Full and Half Carbon, depends on how the weight is going to be distributed, with the 90 I'll probably have to go with the big tank to try and offset the extra weight.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m pretty sure they were bullshitting you. And I’m sure I know of a certain manufacture or two that would be real quick to start the smack talking.
Like @Stevie said. The boats are solid. The “widow maker” down in the keys has been run harder and faster than any other skiff in a very long time if not ever and there is not one thing structurally wrong with it. Not one stress crack.
I always take anything anyone says in this industry with a grain of salt, but since more than one person brought it up I figured I better do some fact finding. I won't say who the manufacturers are but they know what they're doing. That widow maker is an incredible boat for sure. I spoke to thane a few weeks ago about this years gold cup and the boat came up. Now they just need to keep the motor working and they'll be unstoppable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The whole industry seems to be headed in that direction, that new Drake Nomad 2.0 is an incredible boat but the price tag to start is even high than most of the chittums. The Floyd is a very good boat, and out can be out the door for 45k.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The whole industry seems to be headed in that direction, that new Drake Nomad 2.0 is an incredible boat but the price tag to start is even high than most of the chittums. The Floyd is a very good boat, and out can be out the door for 45k.
True. But Chittums and HB have it at another whole level.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I always take anything anyone says in this industry with a grain of salt, but since more than one person brought it up I figured I better do some fact finding. I won't say who the manufacturers are but they know what they're doing. That widow maker is an incredible boat for sure. I spoke to thane a few weeks ago about this years gold cup and the boat came up. Now they just need to keep the motor working and they'll be unstoppable.
I think a lot of us would like to forget this years tournaments. Hahah. That boat is impressive especially in the rough stuff. They passed me one morning in some rough water like I was standing still.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
And I’m sure I know of a certain manufacture or two that would be real quick to start the smack talking.
I know one specifically that after I talked to him, his boats could cure cancer and that all other builders were responsible for it! But on the other hand, I can name two others that are complete class acts that won't say a bad word about anyone.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
True. But Chittums and HB have it at another whole level.
I think a lot of us would like to forget this years tournaments. Hahah. That boat is impressive especially in the rough stuff. They passed me one morning in some rough water like I was standing still.
Wish I could have been down there with you guys, but it just wasn't in the cards for me this year. Hopefully next year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know one specifically that after I talked to him, his boats could cure cancer and that all other builders were responsible for it! But on the other hand, I can name two others that are complete class acts that won't say a bad word about anyone.
Unfortunately there's seems to be a decent amount of trash talking going around, but I agree that there are some that would never say a bad word about anyone. Seems inevitable whenever there is competition, especially when it comes to business.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Unfortunately there's seems to be a decent amount of trash talking going around, but I agree that there are some that would never say a bad word about anyone. Seems inevitable whenever there is competition, especially when it comes to business.
Yea but I know I sure like it when they speak only of their products and back them up and forego stopping to a level of bashing others. It is very distasteful, let the equipment do the talking, if it is legit, you won’t need to.

·
Registered
792 Posts
yes but a certain company does it significantly more than others.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts