Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just 5 weeks ago Chittum was HEAVILY marketing their skiff for $49,500 "fully rigged"....now it's at $53,500..."fully rigged" which does not equal fully outfitted or extra options.

Obviously demand drives prices, but I was pretty surprised at how quickly that occurred after every single post by them was advertising a below $50k boat up until a few weeks ago...

I think the smart way to do this, and so you don't turn off potential buyers, would be do advertise a countdown of some sort: "gentlemen, April will be the last month to buy a Chittum Islamorada 18 fully-rigged for $49.5k. Starting May 1 our base price for a rigged skiff will increase to $53.5k." Similar to what 239flies does with his offerings when major changes are coming.

Not only is the above method a little more "diplomatic" but it probably will get a few guys on the fence to jump on it quickly...just my 2 cents.

I still think it is an amazing skiff, and I look forward to a demo sometime in the near future.

..Thoughts?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they look good except the "wings" as viewed from the stern or aft of the boat...I don't like how they stay out in the wind and they're not brought back into the gunwales. Anyone with engineering/boat building experience know if there's a reason for this? Am assuming that's the best way to keep the boat dry...but at some point you still have to say "yeah, that looks dumb, let's make a slight sacrifice here in function to save grace on style."

That said, I think my eye has gotten accustomed to it the more I see their pictures...perhaps it's like any new technology when design drastically changes...it takes people a bit to get used to it. Who knows.

EL9surf - were you at the Miami Boat show? Curious what all was going down? I know they are pretty "gregarious" on instagram and social media, but curious as to what else was observed. I know people have debated this in other forums, so not trying to turn it into that... one thing is for sure, though: they definitely believe in their product. Hah!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I think they were marketing the 2 degree skiff at 49,500, and the 12 degree is 53,500. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I think they look good except the "wings" as viewed from the stern or aft of the boat...I don't like how they stay out in the wind and they're not brought back into the gunwales. Anyone with engineering/boat building experience know if there's a reason for this? Am assuming that's the best way to keep the boat dry...but at some point you still have to say "yeah, that looks dumb, let's make a slight sacrifice here in function to save grace on style."

That said, I think my eye has gotten accustomed to it the more I see their pictures...perhaps it's like any new technology when design drastically changes...it takes people a bit to get used to it. Who knows.

EL9surf - were you at the Miami Boat show? Curious what all was going down? I know they are pretty "gregarious" on instagram and social media, but curious as to what else was observed. I know people have debated this in other forums, so not trying to turn it into that... one thing is for sure, though: they definitely believe in their product. Hah!

Just referring to all the embarrassing crap they did on social media around the boat show. That displayed a complete lack of character. I don't want to do business with folks like that.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

I completely agree on the wings you are referencing. Taper them in starting around the rear bulkhead. I believe that overhang is there to knock spray down. Not sure what other function it serves. I don't know if they are still doing the convex deck but that was another thing I thought was strange and unecessary.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think whether it is price increases or just their social media antics they are a PR Nightmare from end to end. Not taking away from their skiff building ability and I can understand some say that even bad press is good press but as a marketing/business person it makes me cringe.
I think in their infancy, they are choosing right now to sacrifice the perception of their character to some in order to rapidly disseminate the word of their skiffs: "guerrilla marketing" if you will. I'd imagine they've made an assessment that they'll definitely lose a few "would-be" customers, however they'll reach far more future customers because of their "bad press." Their marketing antics, I believe, is a well calculated move.

My bet is that once they have established a base following and have gained ample momentum to where their marketing and sales is relatively self-sustaining, I have no doubt they will throttle back on the attacks and let the pictures, demos, and their builds speak for themselves. They'd be foolish at that point not to. Since they recently raised their price, that may be an indicator that this transition is closer than we may think.

There's no doubt they're entering a competitive market, but they bring a unique and well-crafted boat to the stage.

Dammit, I turned it into a thread I did not want to go down the path of again!!! SORRY!

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,519 Posts
I think whether it is price increases or just their social media antics they are a PR Nightmare from end to end. Not taking away from their skiff building ability and I can understand some say that even bad press is good press but as a marketing/business person it makes me cringe.
I agree. I'm really pretty surprised since Hal was a very innovative marketer when he owned HT Chittum & Co. and Hells Bay. He must be getting some very bad advice from someone close to him...GS?

They still have not updated their website to include any information on the Snake Bight and this thing has been "in development" for the past 2 years. Obviously this model is the future of their company.

It costs more to buy around of drinks at a small tournament than it costs to update a page on a website. They had a "coming soon" placeholder up on the site until recently. Go to the Snake Bight link and no pics, no video, no specs and no pricing...unreal.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree. I'm really pretty surprised since Hal was a very innovative marketer when he owned HT Chittum & Co. and Hells Bay. He must be getting some very bad advice from someone close to him...GS?

They still have not updated their website to include any information on the Snake Bight and this thing has been "in development" for the past 2 years. Obviously this model is the future of their company.

It costs more to buy around of drinks at a small tournament than it costs to update a page on a website. They had a "coming soon" placeholder up on the site until recently. Go to the Snake Bight link and no pics, no video, no specs and no pricing...unreal.
been frustrated with that as well...I'm sick of trying to sift through their instagram posts to find out details about the boat. As aggressive as they are with their marketing, their website is severely lagging...

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,597 Posts
Just 5 weeks ago Chittum was HEAVILY marketing their skiff for $49,500 "fully rigged"....now it's at $53,500..."fully rigged" which does not equal fully outfitted or extra options.

Obviously demand drives prices, but I was pretty surprised at how quickly that occurred after every single post by them was advertising a below $50k boat up until a few weeks ago...

..Thoughts?
Last fall I received a response from George stating a base price of $49,500 with Tohatsu 50 power on a galvanized trailer, and was quoted $53,500 for a 12 degree with a F70 Yamaha on an aluminum trailer. George stated the price had exceeded their goal of >20% price reduction from the Legacy model.

I'm just guessing, but I think that new base price is for the F70 on an aluminum trailer because that's what people spending >$50k on a skiff expect.

If its not, then the payment terms would have to be 100% at delivery for anybody in their right mind to buy one.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

They are too busy talking sh!t.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't know about y'all but I enjoy the antics. Y'all are probably the same people offended when NWO Hollywood uses to trash talk "the wolfpack" in days of WCW wrestling. It is really a lot more similar than you think. Good guys vs the renegades.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't know about y'all but I enjoy the antics. Y'all are probably the same people offended when NWO Hollywood uses to trash talk "the wolfpack" in days of WCW wrestling. It is really a lot more similar than you think. Good guys vs the renegades.

Not offended easily. Yes it can be entertaining, but we aren't talking about wrestling here. Hype and sh!t talking sells arena seats and pay per view. Metrics, build quality, service and performance sells boats.

Chittum is trying to come across as the premier skiff on the market. They should do themselves a favor and act like they have the class to be in that spot. People's actions are very telling of who they truly are. They look like a bunch of clowns running their mouth constantly on social media.

Keep in mind there are quite a few other skiff companies that won't engage in bad-mouthing their competition. They don't need to because they have integrity and their products do the talking. I personally think chittum has shot himself in the foot. This is just a customers perspective though....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Because of their marketing strategy, I know more about the competitions skiffs than I do their own. That's usually indicative of someone who's claims are on the side of "stretching it".

If you build a superior product. You market your own product.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
530 Posts
I have just this week made a cost sheet up of all materials needed to build a one off hull , deck and interior with console and bait well for my up coming 18' Lithium skiff design. Al materials are state of the art as they say using vynelester resin. Total cost wholesale today for everything except engine, trailer and steering.... $8,300.00.
A Chittum skiff or a similar skiffs will spend the same or a bit less in costs.
Now add your engine choice, trailer.
The rest is made up of labor and overhead. If like me you build your own skiff you will save over Chittums price $35,000.00 or more.
Or you just look at all the other great skiffs out there today.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't own a Chittum or any other "elite" skiff, but if you don't like the price don't buy the boat. Why make a thread? A few boat builders haven't updated their pages with the newest model info, call the builder. Or take 10x the time that would make to write your post.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I have just this week made a cost sheet up of all materials needed to build a one off hull , deck and interior with console and bait well for my up coming 18' Lithium skiff design. Al materials are state of the art as they say using vynelester resin. Total cost wholesale today for everything except engine, trailer and steering.... $8,300.00.
A Chittum skiff or a similar skiffs will spend the same or a bit less in costs.
Now add your engine choice, trailer.
The rest is made up of labor and overhead. If like me you build your own skiff you will save over Chittums price $35,000.00 or more.
Or you just look at all the other great skiffs out there today.
But if I tried to build my own skiff it would come out looking like the time Homer Simpson tried to build a doghouse in his backyard. :(

1 - 20 of 62 Posts