Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BBA Counselor
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just musing over an idea, lately I have been making longer runs and even with the tiller extension it's not very comfortable for me. So I was just curious what is the cheapest way to convert a tiller to a remote? Anyone ever use the universal controls, or know a reasonable source for parts other then just ordering from the manufacturer?

I'm probably going to wait till I get a different motor and build another boat, but figured I'd ask. Spending $600-1000 to convert a 20hp motor seems a bit extreme to me.

·
Stripper in my own Mind!
2,540 Posts
I would think that stick steer would be the cheapest. If you go with traditional steering, you would have to also purchase or build a console of some sort taking up space and also costing more $. May be better to just hold off until you find motor that is already setup with controls.

·
Hooking Lips is my life
199 Posts
I made my own side console and mounted this kit on it with a stainless steel wheel. I know you can make a console i have seen your boat http://www.amazon.com/Teleflex-SS13716-Safe-T-Connect-Steering/dp/B00144AOV6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339537305&sr=8-3-fkmr1 this is a picture of mine

·
BBA Counselor
7,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not too worried about the console, I have one on my boat now I could use if I decided to change over. The steering from what I've seen seems to be the cheaper part of the project ($100-125 for a teleflex system with the cable). The console I have is big enough for a wheel and controls if I mount the wheel off to the side.

I'm more curious about controls, what people have done during there conversions other then buy the factory controls.

Edit: thanks CT you posted that while I was replying, that system is exactly what I was looking at. What did you do for controls?

·
Brandon, FL
11,117 Posts
Come over to my house and take the stick steer out of my garage and the attached controls and give it a shot. If you like it then we can work out a deal.

·
Hooking Lips is my life
199 Posts
used mercury set they are out there
I'm not too worried about the console, I have one on my boat now I could use if I decided to change over. The steering from what I've seen seems to be the cheaper part of the project ($100-125 for a teleflex system with the cable). The console I have is big enough for a wheel and controls if I mount the wheel off to the side.

I'm more curious about controls, what people have done during there conversions other then buy the factory controls.

Edit: thanks CT you posted that while I was replying, that system is exactly what I was looking at. What did you do for controls?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts