Cheapest way to convert to remote?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by firecat1981, Jun 12, 2012.

1. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Just musing over an idea, lately I have been making longer runs and even with the tiller extension it's not very comfortable for me. So I was just curious what is the cheapest way to convert a tiller to a remote? Anyone ever use the universal controls, or know a reasonable source for parts other then just ordering from the manufacturer?

I'm probably going to wait till I get a different motor and build another boat, but figured I'd ask. Spending $600-1000 to convert a 20hp motor seems a bit extreme to me.

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

I would think that stick steer would be the cheapest. If you go with traditional steering, you would have to also purchase or build a console of some sort taking up space and also costing more $. May be better to just hold off until you find motor that is already setup with controls.

3. tntwill

tntwill Hooking Lips is my life

I made my own side console and mounted this kit on it with a stainless steel wheel. I know you can make a console i have seen your boat http://www.amazon.com/Teleflex-SS13716-Safe-T-Connect-Steering/dp/B00144AOV6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1339537305&sr=8-3-fkmr1 this is a picture of mine

[​IMG]

4. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I'm not too worried about the console, I have one on my boat now I could use if I decided to change over. The steering from what I've seen seems to be the cheaper part of the project ($100-125 for a teleflex system with the cable). The console I have is big enough for a wheel and controls if I mount the wheel off to the side.

I'm more curious about controls, what people have done during there conversions other then buy the factory controls.

Edit: thanks CT you posted that while I was replying, that system is exactly what I was looking at. What did you do for controls?

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Come over to my house and take the stick steer out of my garage and the attached controls and give it a shot. If you like it then we can work out a deal.

6. tntwill

tntwill Hooking Lips is my life

used mercury set they are out there