Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a pretty beefy 9 weight that I’ve caught big bulls on but I’m trying to get in to the jack game..do I up my arsenal to a 10 or just grip and rip it with this 9?..I’m not sure what I’m getting into any advice on gear would be appreciated thanks!

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Hook a 30” jack and let us know...:D
If you have someone at the wheel to chase it you might be fine but straight up fighting a bigger jack without running after it will probably not be in your favor with just a 9 weight. A bull red usually fights like a wet beach towel and jacks are rocket propelled.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
You didn't say what size jacks for that 9wt... I wouldn't hesitate to fish them up to 15lbs with a 9wt - but that's just me.

Bigger fish need bigger gear (and one of the real advantages of a 10wt is that you can toss bigger bugs...). Yes there are plenty of big jacks that will need something bigger than a 10wt... In downtown Palm Beach right at dawn on a high tide in the middle of winter I know a few spots where a 12wt might not be enough rod. Unless you're in a boat and can chase after fish teaching mullet how to climb up a concrete seawall.... Way back when we were on foot chasing them up and down a big urban seawall - and a good pair of running shoes along with sailfish sized poppers were what we used - but without a boat we were generally on the losing end of most fights...

By the way when the big busters are around I generally try not to chase them... Instead we do our best to get ahead of them and do an intercept instead.. Big jacks (and little jacks...) will chase a school of bait forever... You'll see a blow up, run to it, and find they've moved on - still chasing the bait they've targeted (at least that's how they behave in my area...).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,504 Posts
If jack crevalle were edible they'd be the perfect fish.

Stuck this one on my 6wt. Only reason I got him to hand was I was in the backwater less than knee deep.

On an open flat I would have had no chance...

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
We call them Jetty Tuna. I always chuckle when I see some poor soul posting a photo of a Jack they caught and telling everyone it’s a tuna. If they read some fishing regulations and identification books while waiting for a fish to pick up their cut bait they might know better...

·
Registered
202 Posts
We call them Jetty Tuna. I always chuckle when I see some poor soul posting a photo of a Jack they caught and telling everyone it’s a tuna. If they read some fishing regulations and identification books while waiting for a fish to pick up their cut bait they might know better...
Oh yeah. I've overhead some tourist here that "Filled the box with yellowfin!" only a mile off the beach haha

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,053 Posts
If jack crevalle were edible they'd be the perfect fish.
I don't know about edible because tarpon are by far my favorite and they're not edible.

My perspective is that if jacks were a little more discerning in taking a fly they'd be perfect because I don't think I've ever put a fly in front of a jack that didn't eat. Even on a shitty cast that I overshot a big, cruising jack by like 10' because he was moving so fast he turned and ate my popper like a lion on a wounded gazelle.

Meaning, that part of the allure to me of tarpon is that sometimes a perfectly placed fly will still get the snub. I don't see jacks doing that.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,504 Posts
A jack's willingness to eat is exactly what makes them such reliable fun.

Especially since I can chase them in places away from the local crowds.

Chasing tarpon around here means dealing with jet skis and bow riders...

·
Registered
975 Posts
I caught bazillions of jacks and a few less tarpon when I lived in Florida. Since I moved to Texas I have yet to catch either one here. I keep seeing photographs of big jacks, but they never come around me. So sad........

1 - 20 of 32 Posts