Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ran their skiff through the cut into Espirtu from the intercostal, in front of Charlie’s, lately? I know it’s getting pretty shallow but havent been over there in about a year or so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did Hurricane Harvey cause it to silt up a bunch. Or did they quit dredging it.
I used to navigate it in a standard hull Kenner bay boat years ago with no problem.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,419 Posts
Heavy north east winds and the last few years of higher tides are flattening all of the exposed north/south islands and spoil banks along the Texas coast and all coastal zones for that matter. Check Google map history

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
833 Posts
The exchange channels are no longer dredged. Same as anything that isn’t commercially viable.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
833 Posts
I’ll shoot you a text Mac.

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seemed impossibly shallow last time I was there and we pushed some guys off a sandbar. You can always dip into the lagoon or shoalwater and there are few cuts I've used in a Kayak to get through. TBH I'd love to hear what other people are doing after launching at Charlies to get to Espiritu in a skiff.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
748 Posts
Run through shoalwater, if you can run shallow enough
Run the ditch to San Antonio Bay and hang a left
Run up to Army Cut, which is probably best if you draft deeper, or plan to fish Pringle or the stuff up toward POC.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts
Seemed impossibly shallow last time I was there and we pushed some guys off a sandbar. You can always dip into the lagoon or shoalwater and there are few cuts I've used in a Kayak to get through. TBH I'd love to hear what other people are doing after launching at Charlies to get to Espiritu in a skiff.
Run through shoalwater, if you can run shallow enough
Run the ditch to San Antonio Bay and hang a left
Run up to Army Cut, which is probably best if you draft deeper, or plan to fish Pringle or the stuff up toward POC.
I’m sick of having guys run through the Lagoon and Shoalwater like they are highways, stay in the ICW and run down to Army Cut or Turnstake Island and you won’t be burning up the back lakes, it’s the same distance. Just sayin’

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
We ran through the cut from Charlie’s to Espíritu Santo Bay last Friday. Tides were very low that day... a center console was stuck in the channel exit to Espíritu Santo. We were able to work around him, but it was definitely LOW.

Agree with Smackdaddy that there’s absolutely no reason to run the Lagoon or Shoalwater unless you’re fishing there.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts
We ran through the cut from Charlie’s to Espíritu Santo Bay last Friday. Tides were very low that day... a center console was stuck in the channel exit to Espíritu Santo. We were able to work around him, but it was definitely LOW.

Agree with Smackdaddy that there’s absolutely no reason to run the Lagoon or Shoalwater unless you’re fishing there.
It’s covered in prop scars from guys that watch too many Youtube videos too. One day I watched one guy in street clothes running 60+mph through the Lagoon from one end to the other 4 times. I might sound like a prick but it’s not cool at all.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
748 Posts
Yea, Mea Culpa. I shouldn't have even suggested it, but I quit fishing Shoalwater years ago for the most part because it had turned into just another navigation route. Especially when the wind is up. No excuse whatsoever to run the Lagoon like that, though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only boat thats been a bother back there is the airboat that comes through every time I seem to be on the water. I feel like I can hear it in my sleep sometimes

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts
Yea, Mea Culpa. I shouldn't have even suggested it, but I quit fishing Shoalwater years ago for the most part because it had turned into just another navigation route. Especially when the wind is up. No excuse whatsoever to run the Lagoon like that, though.
The only boat thats been a bother back there is the airboat that comes through every time I seem to be on the water. I feel like I can hear it in my sleep sometimes
I sight cast big trout in Shoalwater quite often and also in the Lagoon. It’s still possible if you go on a weekday when googans aren’t boat riding around drinking and shooting gay youtube videos of their prop scars.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies, the Christmas season at the shop has me pretty scattered. I ended up putting in at Clark's on Friday the 21st. Tide was so negative that Clark's was almost too shallow to launch. We found a lot of fish schooled up together in the back lakes. It was pretty cool to see the water ripping out of the bay like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I still fish Shoalwater quite often, it has long been one of my favorites and it's such an easy run from the sanctuary for us. I hate seeing SCB's and Shallowsports running WOT through there as we drift and run the banks looking for reds and trout. It has certainly become a problem in recent years and it needs to stop.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,926 Posts
I still fish Shoalwater quite often, it has long been one of my favorites and it's such an easy run from the sanctuary for us. I hate seeing SCB's and Shallowsports running WOT through there as we drift and run the banks looking for reds and trout. It has certainly become a problem in recent years and it needs to stop.
Run the banks? o_O

1 - 20 of 30 Posts