Charging TM Battery Question

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by Megalops, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

I have a Minn Kota Riptide 55lb TM with remote (not iPilot). The TM battery is located in the bow, accessible thru the forward bulkhead. My question, instead of clipping the two alligator clips onto the battery from my charger, can I get an extra Minn Kota plug, and clip the alligators on the wires from the plug? Then, instead of messing with the bulkhead opening, etc., I could just plug into the TM port that's on top of the deck.

Is this smart, dumb, dangerous?

2. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

Yes that will work. In fact there is a product to work just that way that charges from your vehicle while towing. Of course you want to make sure you do not let alligator clips touch while charging.

If my battery was not so easily accessible I would do this my self.
    I leave all my hatches open while boat is in garage anyways.

3. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Thanks Carolinajim! Are you referring to the tow package associated with the Stealth1 charging system? Cause I almost bought that unit but in retrospect, I don't think it would have fit in my low profile center console. But I'm glad that the "reverse" charge is okay and I completely forgot about the tow package! Thanks man!

4. fsae99

fsae99 I Love microskiff.com!

Them or troll bridge. Both are they same sort of thing.

The reverse charge is ok because at most your battery charger will be sending 20 amps "down the line to the battery. most 12 volt TM on full power pull almost twice, the Riptide 55 is designed up to 60 amps, so wire will handle it.