Channel right of way

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by noeettica, Aug 1, 2011.

1. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Channel right of way : Ok rules are rules so why are people throwing nets in the channel ?

Saw the other side "elsewhere" and wanted input from my other small boat brethren ...

2. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Why? Water's hot on the flat, bait is holding in the deeper cooler water of the channel.

3. noeettica

A Guy was complaining about bringing his 40 footer in and the channel was clogged with 20 small skiffs that acted offended and did not try to move ...

I have the EXACT same problem with Kayakers on the rivers 15 all Cluster Fahkedd in the middle of the River ...

4. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

You have a 40 footer?? Probably not the EXACT same problem. ;)

5. noeettica

no 40 footer but it's the same as someone playing in the street ... It's a Navigable Waterway NOT place to congregate and Socialize ...

6. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[edit]A commonly held misconception concerning the rules of marine navigation is that by following specific rules, a vessel can gain certain rights of way (right of way) over other vessels, however this is not in keeping with the rules. No vessel ever gains absolute 'right of way' over other vessels. Rather, there can be a 'give way' (burdened) vessel or two such give way vessels with no 'stand on' (privilged) vessel, or there can be a give way and a stand on vessel. The stand on vessel does not have and never has the absolute right of way over any give way vessel. For if there is a risk of collision, a stand on vessel with the so-called right of way can still be obligated under Rule 2 to depart from the prescribed rules in order to give way so as to avoid a collision, if such action will be effective and practicable. In the case of two power-driven vessels meeting head to head in an oncoming or head on pattern of approach, then BOTH vessels are deemed to be give way and both are required to alter course so as to avoid colliding with the other. NEITHER vessel has 'right of way'.

13. Where do Kayaks and Canoes fit into the Navigation Rules? Neither the International nor Inland Navigation Rules address "kayaks" or "canoes" per se, except in regards to "vessels under oars" in Rule 25 regarding lights. One could infer that a "vessel under oars" should be treated as a "sailing vessel" since it is permitted to display the same lights as one, but, ultimately the issue of whom "gives way" would fall to what would be "required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case" (Rule 2).

RULE 2: RESPONSIBILITY

(a) Nothing in these Rules shall exonerate any vessel, or the owner, master, or crew thereof, from the consequences of any neglect to comply with these Rules or of the neglect of any precaution which may be required by the ordinary practice of seamen, or by the special circumstances of the case.

(b) In construing and complying with these Rules due regard shall be had to all dangers of navigation and collision and to any special circumstances, including the limitations of the vessels involved, which may make a departure from these Rules necessary to avoid immediate danger.

RULE 25: SAILING VESSELS UNDERWAY AND VESSELS UNDER OARS

(a)     A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit:

sidelights;
    a sternlight.
    (b)     In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.

(c)     A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower Green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.

(d)      A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
    A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
    (e)     A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so. [Inld]

[/edit]

7. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[edit]International Collision Regulations[ch8206] > [ch8206]Part B - Steering and Sailing Rules[ch8206] > [ch8206]Section I - Conduct of vessels in any condition of visibility

Rule 9 Narrow channels

(a)     A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.
    (b)     A vessel of less than 20 metres in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.
    (c)      A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway.
    (d)     A vessel shall not cross a narrow channel or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in Rule 34(d) [five short and rapid blasts on the whistle] if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.
    (e)    (i)       In a narrow channel or fairway when overtaking can take place only if the vessel to be overtaken has to take action to permit safe passing, the vessel intending to overtake shall indicate her intention by sounding the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34 (c)(i). [ 2 long 1 short to overtake Starboard side and 2 long 2 short to overtake port side] The vessel to be overtaken shall, if in agreement, sound the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34(c)(ii) [1 long 1 short 1 long 1 short]  and take steps to permit safe passing.  If in doubt she may sound the signals prescribed in Rule 34(d).[five short and rapid blasts on the whistle]
    (ii)     This Rule does not relieve the overtaking vessel of her obligation under Rule 13. [ Rule 13 Overtaking ]
    (f)      A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a narrow channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall navigate with particular alertness and caution and shall sound the appropriate signal prescribed in Rule 34(e). [1 long blast]
    (g)     Any vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid anchoring in a narrow channel.[/edit]

8. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Just narrowly pass them at high speed, the wake and shock will get them to move ;)

Seriously though from what I gather there it sounds like even though there is no true right of way, the bigger vessel always gets the given way?

9. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I love it when people insist they have the right-of-way.
    Being right won't keep you safe on the water.
    I'm a firm believer that when on the water, keep your eyes open
    and your head on a swivel, 'cause you never know when an idiot is headed your way.
    Rules of navigation are so that the Coasties know who to blame
    after they clean up the broken bodies. Me, I'm going to use my brains
    and avoid situations that can get me run over and chopped into chum.

10. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Amen brother! Being right means nothing when you dead