Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
904 Redfish
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read a few things on the internet that says that the block for them are the same for 20hp,25,hp,30hp and 35 hp what all would be involved with changing it? I was thinking just the carb

·
Screw work!!! I'm going fishing!!!
221 Posts
I would look at the parts diagram, all the numbers and compared all of it. I did it to a yamaha 9.9 and made it a 15 all by changing the reed restrictor plates.

·
BBA Counselor
6,799 Posts
http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/converting-20-hp-johnson-35-hp-274566-2.html

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
What year is your motor? Pre 95 only thing that needs to be changed is the Carb & Intake. In 96 and later it was an entirely different block assembly. Just an FYI it's not going to make much a difference I have done probably 50 conversions and your talking .05 shaved off your hole shot and maybe 1-2 mph increase on top speed, although it does tend to idle better.

·
904 Redfish
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a 2005 what would have to be on that year model to upgrade hp and how much hp would you really gain? thanks for all the info

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It's an entirely different block assembly; you would be better off buying a 35hp then trying to convert that one. I’m actually friends and worked for the engineer who designed the OMC 35hp. And as I said in my previous post you’re not going to realize much gain, the guys who say otherwise are also the guys who think that a K&N filter makes their car/truck faster.

Look for a 40hp if you want more performance.

·
904 Redfish
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im using the 25 hp because I need a light weight motor im pretty sure that making a 2005 johnson 25 to a 30 is what just a different carb?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Just for reference my 25hp at wot starts to overpower the shadowcast anyways. Not sure more hp is going to help things.

·
devilray snob
2,398 Posts
Just for reference my 25hp at wot starts to overpower the shadowcast anyways. Not sure more hp is going to help things.
Did you have the built in bow fuel tank 8gal? I rode on skinny dippin's shadowcast during the ankona weekend and we were fine with the 25 at WOT

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2 Posts
Its a 2005 what would have to be on that year model to upgrade hp and how much hp would you really gain? thanks for all the info
I know this is a pretty old post but did you end up doing this? If so, how did it work? I have the same 05 25hp and just came across a 30hp carb. Just curious if it was worth it and if anything else was involved.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
I know this is a pretty old post but did you end up doing this? If so, how did it work? I have the same 05 25hp and just came across a 30hp carb. Just curious if it was worth it and if anything else was involved.
You will probably need the reed stops and maybe the exhaust tuner from a 30 to see any real gains. You can go to boats.net and cross reference said parts between hp’s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts