Change your internal anodes

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by yobata, Jun 29, 2017.

1. yobata

yobata I Love microskiff.com!

I bought my used 2006 Yamaha 25hp 2 stroke a year ago. It did not come with any maintenance records. Although it has been running well and I flush it after every trip, I recently decided to change the internal anode, among other things. The guy at the parts store said it was probably not needed, but at the whopping price of $3.60 I decided it was worth it.

I opened the cover of the anode and tried to pull it out. The square part that you're supposed to grab with pliers to pull out broke in the pliers. The anode was "salted" to the hole. After trying several ways to pull it out including spraying with PB blaster and drilling with a left turning drill (ez-out type), nothing worked. Finally I removed the cylinder head and had to tap it out from the inside, followed by a scraping/cleaning of the salt deposits.

This is a reminder: follow your maintananace schedule and a 10minute job won't turn into 2 hours!

DuckNut, sjrobin and damthemainstream like this.
  2. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Wow, I have the same motor and have not changed out the anode. Will be looking to change out during my next mechanic trip. Thanks.

yobata likes this.