CCA - Crab Trap Clean Up in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge

Discussion in 'Events, Open Houses, Shows' started by tom_in_orl, Jul 27, 2009.

1. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Now this is a great idea.

----------------------------------------

Date: Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    Subject: Crab Trap Clean Up in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge
    To: CCA Members

Dear CCA Supporter,

Due to a recent change in the law regarding crab traps there is now a closed season for crab fishing. This change allows groups to organize cleanup efforts for abandoned crab traps. Chris Peterson, CCA life member and owner of Hell’s Bay Boatworks, has been working with the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on just such a cleanup.

Scheduled for August 15th starting at  8:00 AM the cleanup is a one day effort. Members of the cleanup team will meet at the ramp at Haulover Canal at 8:00 AM and the drop point for traps will also be at Haulover. To make the most of this opportunity we need both shallow draft boats as well as some “party barge” type vessels to ferry traps back to the collection point.

There will be a cookout after the cleanup for all volunteers and participants will also receive a cleanup T-shirt. In order to accurately account for food and shirts please RSVP no later than Friday July 31. To RSVP simply reply to this email (daskin@ccaflorida.org) and let me know how many in your group and what type of boat or other equipment you can bring.

The cleanup will encompass both Mosquito Lagoon and the north end of the Indian River (from the Titusville Bridge north). If you happen to be fishing in these areas before the cleanup please make a note of any abandoned traps you find (Do not touch or remove them!)  so we can be sure to get them on August 15.

Feel free to contact me with any questions at 321-663-2588.

Please let me know if you can make it!

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Askin

General Manager

Coastal Conservation Association Florida

Office 407-854-7002 ext. 13

Cell 321-663-2588

Dedicated To Conserving And Protecting
    Florida's Marine Resources.

2. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Gonna try to make this. Sounds kinda entertaining and does something good. :D

3. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I am still trying to confirm my availability but if everything works out then I will be there too.