Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are there a lot of Cayo’s going up for sale? Think this is due to them focusing on the cat and not making many new skiffs thus giving the used market good value?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would say there are just as many Hell's Bay boats for sale. So, not sure if that is the case. Seems that a few I have seen including the one I bought the seller was moving to a larger boat for the family. I still love my Cayo 173.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,504 Posts
The 173s are small and kinda tippy. But they are great little tiller boats.

People who bought them as pseudo flats boats or family boats are going to out grow them.

People who rig them and use them as designed are going to continue to be happy with them.

Its really that simple IMHO...

·
Registered
375 Posts
There is talk of another CAT in the works, closer to 30'. I hope that we haven't seen the last of their skiffs, but when you have people lining up to put down a $10k deposit (last I heard that # was around 80), I really couldn't blame them if they never built another. What would be best case is that you would see a split of sorts where one division builds the CATS and another builds skiffs, but share resources. As a new STAKEHOLDER in Cayo Boatworks, I wish them the best. They do build a badass little boat, I just hope they can get through the growing pains.

·
Registered
375 Posts
For anyone interested, I spoke with JB on Friday morning. We talked about some things I need his help with, but while I had him I asked how things were at Cayo and what the future holds for the Skiffs. He said they were bowed up at the shop, but that things were going good. He said that the CAT is doing extremely well (nearly 80 deposit secured builds). He said that he has made some much needed headway with securing the right help. He said that while he is very focused on the CAT right now, they do have a few skiff commitments for this year. He also assured me that the skiffs will continue to be a part of the offering from Cayo in the future, fwiw.

·
Registered
182 Posts
80 CAT deposits!? I would hate to be number 80 because it will be 9 years for him to see his boat haha. From my experience Cayo is extremely slow on getting skiffs out and their customer service is non existent. I waited 9 months and my 173 wasn't even close to going in a mold. So I took my money elsewhere. From owners I know that sold there Cayo 173s is that the custom service at Cayo was horrible and they could not get a hold of JB for any issues, repairs, or maintenance on their skiff.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Are you saying you invested in them???
No Sir, but my boat has Cayo all over it, so the reputation and quality of the product / company going forward matters to me. This is what I meant by STAKEHOLDER.

Reactions: DuckNut

·
Registered
375 Posts
80 CAT deposits!? I would hate to be number 80 because it will be 9 years for him to see his boat haha. From my experience Cayo is extremely slow on getting skiffs out and their customer service is non existent. I waited 9 months and my 173 wasn't even close to going in a mold. So I took my money elsewhere. From owners I know that sold there Cayo 173s is that the custom service at Cayo was horrible and they could not get a hold of JB for any issues, repairs, or maintenance on their skiff.
Sounds like you made the right decision.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I have heard that their customer service is lacking if that's so why would you build a 80 k cat with them is their customer service going to be any better on the cat than their skiffs? I'm not sure if I would want to wait 2 or 3 years for a cat build because if it takes 9 months for a skiff how long would the big boat take to build?

·
Registered
375 Posts
FWIW,That's not the generally accepted meaning of the word.
Really? Maybe you have STAKEHOLDER AND SHAREHOLDER confused b/c in the world of business I have been around throughout my career I was a STAKEHOLDER in every meeting / transaction.
Screenshot_20190802-000912_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: zmgsvt

·
Registered
748 Posts
Really? Maybe you have STAKEHOLDER AND SHAREHOLDER confused b/c in the world of business I have been around throughout my career I was a STAKEHOLDER in every meeting / transaction. View attachment 86182
when you have to explain what you mean by being a STAKEHOLDER it's possible you are using it a way that makes it harder for others to understand what you mean. The person that thought you had invested in the company was not the only one that took your meaning of STAKEHOLDER that way.
I would agree with a lot of your examples of STAKEHOLDER but a consumer/end user is not one of them any more than I would consider someone who drives a Honda a STAKEHOLDER in Honda.

·
Registered
375 Posts
when you have to explain what you mean by being a STAKEHOLDER it's possible you are using it a way that makes it harder for others to understand what you mean. The person that thought you had invested in the company was not the only one that took your meaning of STAKEHOLDER that way.
I would agree with a lot of your examples of STAKEHOLDER but a consumer/end user is not one of them any more than I would consider someone who drives a Honda a STAKEHOLDER in Honda.
Yes, you are right and I am wrong.......

This is a current and relevant example of STAKEHOLDER. In case you didn't notice it comes from "What is a stakeholder in simple terms?" I'm sure I have misinterpreted the last sentence, so thank you for "helping" me out.

Screenshot_20190802-225544_Chrome.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts