Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife surprised me for Christmas with a trip to the Caymans from 1/27-1/31 for our anniversary and she knows me well enough to know that I'm gonna fish. I'm looking to book a guide for one day for bonefish and then try some DIY if possible. I understand there are tarpon and some permit but I don't know much.

Anybody have any tips for DIY? A buddy as fished with Capt. Randy Parchment and highly recommends him for a guide.

Thanks.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Get in touch with Duppy Fly. He lived there and has the whole place dialed in. ;)

I was there about this time last year and the wife and I really liked it. Accommodations are pricey tho, if you don't look around.

Duppy said the bones are on the north side of Grande Caymen around the iron rock shorelines. But it was too windy from the north and way being hammered from the winds (more than a 6 & 8wt can stand directly into the winds.), so we ended up working the south side of the island. Points of interest to look for DIY bones were the point (NW side of the Island) of Barkers Natl Park, as well as anyplace between Rum Point to anyplace along Queens Hwy.

I miss those awesome blue contrasting waters there.
Ted-Haas-Fly-Fishing-Grand-Caymen-5-600dpi.jpg

On the south side was a mixed bag of species and the bones were small and few between. Still, it was fun and between that and the snorkeling, local food and the beaches on the south side (my wife liked that), it was a good time.

Take your date/wife to Cemetery beach or 7 Mile beach and fish (small bones, bar jacks, snapper, etc). Then snorkel the small reef out front of the beach. It was a decent place for the wife.

We are going further south next month and do some more exploring on the bottom side of the Caribbean this time.

Ted

·
Registered
352 Posts
dude send me a PM! I have an entire google map i can share with you. I would advise against Randy, and Davin has left the island.

Fish with Joel Jefferson who is excellent! Joel is available through Davins site above.

bring lots of baby tarpon patterns and make sure all your bonefish flies have weedguards. There are lots of brownish redish critters on the flats, so that color worked best on the bonefish for me.

Cayman is the best DIY salt trip I have ever done.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
385 Posts
+1 on Joel - find him on IG @345onthefly or through the Fish Bones site.

Davin is back on-island sporadically, as he's a Professor at an art school in Indiana. He and Joel are the some of the best dudes you'll ever meet and they have the island on lock. Joel will give you plenty of other spots to fish on your own time after the charter is over.

January into February will be cooler and probably windy, but still lovely and very fishy. If the flats are blown out, the mosquito control canals throughout Barker's in my beloved West Bay produce Juvy Poon and the odd Snook (and even grouper and cuda, if you're close to the junction with the sea.)

It's also worth noting that Cayman is clean, safe, English-speaking, and enjoys the highest standard of living in the entire Caribbean, so you can relax and really enjoy yourself without worrying about being targeted or harassed for money. Driving on the left takes a brief moment to get used to - just go with the flow and you'll be fine. Your rental car will have a white license plate, so the other drivers will usually give you a bit of consideration as you move with traffic.

Shoot me an email at [email protected] for additional info.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good people right there. Davin put me on my first 2 bones a couple years back. I tie flies for his clients that are looking for some quality patterns that work (under the flies section). I've never fished with Joel, but have talked to him a bunch and heard great things about him. Definitely book a trip with FishBones, you won't regret it!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another good thing about Joel is he is like 6'5" tall so he can see bones further out than most of us under 6' people while wading
Well I'm 6'3" so I guess it will help some. ;)

Still haven't heard back from Joel though. :(

·
I Love microskiff.com!
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do you know what side of the island you are staying on?

also you should bring a 10wt if you want to tangle with bigger tarpon under dock lights
yeah, we're staying at the Westin on 7 Mile Beach

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grand Cayman was the best DIY salt trip I ever did. Went there for a wedding, got a $20/day rental car (the only inexpensive thing on the island) and just drove up to that defunct "park" in the NW corner of the island. Wasn't there 5 minutes before hooking my first Bonefish, a nice 3lber. I won't bore you with the heroic details of the next couple days, but it was a lot of fun. Even got a couple random shots at a Permit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts