Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So was leaning towards a cayenne but after talking with Shadowcast some I,m thinking of the Heron 16 (possibly 18 if I know I can get it in the garage). Do the integrated spray rails help that much? Is the fit and finish better on one vs the other? Just looking for pros and cons of each. Majority of fishing will actually be central FL lakes but will be going to Tampa Bay area as often as I can. Handling chop is import as will have the family part of the time for island days ect. From what I read the cayenne has a learning curve with the trim tabs but have not read the same for the cayenne.

Are there major differences between the two that I should consider? Just looking for IMO based information. Thanks for any input.

Heron Pros (from what I'm reading)
-Integrated spray rails, looks more finished from what I can tell, larger livewell.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You are spot on in your assessments. I’m sure most here would agree to suggest you test both on the water to get your own personal feel on them. IMHO I’d go Heron...and as you the 18 if it fits. Otherwise 16 TE. GL in your search

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
I know we have already spoke but I'll reiterate my point for others. To compare the Heron 18 and the Cayenne are like comparing apples to oranges. Prior to the introduction of the Heron series, the Cayenne was the most big water skiff in our line up. It boasted the highest free board, largest HP capacity, and with its sensitivity to trim, the Cayenne ended up being my choice for 2 years. I went with it because not only could I pursue my skinny water reds in the winter, but I felt comfortable going off the beaches for poons in the summer. That being said, with the integrated spray rails of the Heron 16, 18, and now the Advent, you are seeing three skiffs that really set the bar as far as big water and taking a chop capabilities. The fit and finish accents are negligible between those 3 and the Cayenne....I always say fit and finish doesn't catch fish or ride better....but it does look nice. Definitely get rides on all of them and let that be the main part of the decision making process.

Reactions: SuperFluke16

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know we have already spoke but I'll reiterate my point for others. To compare the Heron 18 and the Cayenne are like comparing apples to oranges. Prior to the introduction of the Heron series, the Cayenne was the most big water skiff in our line up. It boasted the highest free board, largest HP capacity, and with its sensitivity to trim, the Cayenne ended up being my choice for 2 years. I went with it because not only could I pursue my skinny water reds in the winter, but I felt comfortable going off the beaches for poons in the summer. That being said, with the integrated spray rails of the Heron 16, 18, and now the Advent, you are seeing three skiffs that really set the bar as far as big water and taking a chop capabilities. The fit and finish accents are negligible between those 3 and the Cayenne....I always say fit and finish doesn't catch fish or ride better....but it does look nice. Definitely get rides on all of them and let that be the main part of the decision making process.
Always open to reiteration. I do need to get rides on all of them. I was looking at a cayenne that was for sale awhile back but now that Ive looked into the Heron more I'm torn. I don't want to pass up a good deal on one or the other if the differences are not substantial for me. I just emailed SM to find out what boats they have available for viewing and testing. I've even joined the FB page to possible find owners close to me.

Actually just got a response from Rose. They are definitely fast to reply.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
When are you looking to purchase/build? I’m probably late to the party and Jon probably informed you—but he scheduled a demo day in June.

I went to the one last year, and was able to ride several models back/back/back. Really helped me decide on what model I wanted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When are you looking to purchase/build? I’m probably late to the party and Jon probably informed you—but he scheduled a demo day in June.

I went to the one last year, and was able to ride several models back/back/back. Really helped me decide on what model I wanted.
I'm ready as soon as I know what I want so who knows lol. Yea, unfortunately I'll be heading back from a Canada fishing trip still on that day or that would have been perfect.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Not that my opinion matters. I would look at the Advent. Nice looking. Not a fan of the transom design on some of the other models.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Original post said lakes in central Florida so I’m assuming you live near Orlando. I’m in Titusville with the Advent if you want to demo it, just send me a PM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts