Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m planning on taking a trip down to visit Ankona in the coming weeks. I primarily fish the Big Bend and looking for the best model to fish on fly for reds. Looking for feedback on which model is preferred and why?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Hey guys, I’m planning on taking a trip down to visit Ankona in the coming weeks. I primarily fish the Big Bend and looking for the best model to fish on fly for reds. Looking for feedback on which model is preferred and why?
Both are great models that do things very similarly. What you need to ask yourself is what kind of water will you be traversing? Mostly protected bays or open water? The Copperhead is a great poling skiff that has a low freeboard. In terms of taking a chop, it does well when trimmed out however it skips over chop rather than cutting through it. It is a great protected water skiff. The Cayenne will have a higher freeboard and a little more pronounced nose that can cut through chop slightly better. Once you learn how to drive that skiff by utilizing the trim tabs (the skiff is very sensitive to trim), it is a lot of fun. In terms of poling, drafting and layout, they are similar. If you are needing something in that size range but need a drier ride for more open water traversing, I'd also look into the Advent or the Salt Marsh Heron 16. Similar size, similar layout, similar poling and draft capabilities, but better rides.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Robin I would be happy to let you demo the Advent when you come down this way, I am in Titusville about hour and a half away from the Ankona shop, send me a PM if you’d like

·
I Love microskiff.com!
938 Posts
I had both
Both were 2012 models
I personally liked the copperhead the best
Feels like a bigger boat,
Rode better
Wider in the back
Draft was about the same

·
Registered
195 Posts
I haven't been in the copperhead yet, but I would take shadowcasts advice on the heron or advent if you are crossing open water and chop a lot. Definitely test ride before you buy. I was pretty dead set on the cayenne until I test drove one. As far as fly fishing from them, any of the boats listed would do well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
For the Big Bend, I’d go with the Cayenne if for no other reason than the tunnel. Shadowcast 18 is another option if you are comfortable with a bit less stability. I fish that area a lot in my SC18 and it works wonderfully.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I haven't been in the copperhead yet, but I would take shadowcasts advice on the heron or advent if you are crossing open water and chop a lot. Definitely test ride before you buy. I was pretty dead set on the cayenne until I test drove one. As far as fly fishing from them, any of the boats listed would do well.
What didn't you like about the Cayenne?

·
Registered
195 Posts
What didn't you like about the Cayenne?
The ride was pretty rough and wet. Granted it was a little choppy when I took it out. But those are the conditions I like to test a boat in. The first cayenne I looked at the guy had installed spray rails on it. I knew why when I got to test drive the second one.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
The ride was pretty rough and wet. Granted it was a little choppy when I took it out. But those are the conditions I like to test a boat in. The first cayenne I looked at the guy had installed spray rails on it. I knew why when I got to test drive the second one.
The Cayenne is one of those skiffs you really gotta learn to drive with the trim tabs. It is very sensitive to trim. Once you find the sweet spot with the tabs in any conditions, it's a great riding skiff. The key is to run the skiff based on the conditions you are presented with.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Cayenne is one of those skiffs you really gotta learn to drive with the trim tabs. It is very sensitive to trim. Once you find the sweet spot with the tabs in any conditions, it's a great riding skiff. The key is to run the skiff based on the conditions you are presented with.
That is absolutely true a little adjustment of engine trim, tabs and speed goes a long way

1 - 11 of 11 Posts