Caught in lighting storm.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dingdangdoo, Jul 29, 2012.

1. dingdangdoo

dingdangdoo I LOVE FISHING

So I was tearing up the redfish today and they were just crushing bait in a little cut in the oyster bar and they were eating every mudminnow i threw in there with the popping cork. (I normally use artificials but the jighead will get hung up due to oyster surrounding the place). I had my father in-law with me and trying to get him into some fish.

I saw the lighting and storm coming from a long ways off but the fising was hot so i kept at it. Next thing i knew the winds picked up FAST so we booked it back to the boat ramp about 3 miles away. The wind gust picked up to about 30-40 miles an hour and the waves were about 4-5 feet, my father in-law was gripping the boat in mortal fear and i just kept the nose in the waves. Took a crap ton of spray and got soaked to the bones. There were other boats that waited longer than i did and they were getting whoop. My Dolphin Super Skiff took the waves and pounding like a champ. I was never once scared but can't say the same about the father in-law. I think I push the limit of what that little boat can handle and i walked away very impressed!

Dolphin Super Skiff saved my ass today! I'm thinking about putting her away in storage if i have to go overseas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

[smiley=worth.gif] :) ;D :eek: :cool: :-?

3. dingdangdoo

only got a couple until I had to haul azz home!

4. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

^ thats what i would do.
    Hire somebody to do a professional detail job on the boat, have the boat properly pickeled, carbs ran dry and bowls drained, silicone the ish oout of the powerhead and wiring under the console and put it in covered storage

5. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

Same thing hapened to me Saturday in Delacroix except I diddnt leave.  It got bad  fast.  We ended up anchoring/leaving the boat and jumping into the marsh to wait it out.  Its a little nerve racking when your aluminum poling platform is the tallest thing for miles

6. dingdangdoo

Yeah, it got bad. I couldn't see due to the waves crashing over the bow and spraying my face with white water. I was the smallest boats out there and saw a couple of Mako's, Seapros and they were getting their butt's whooped. I was going against the waves and they were going with the winds and waves so they took alot of water into the tramsom.

If I keep it it's just gonna be the hull. I think i will sell the motor, trolling motor, power pole, push pole, jack plates, hydraulic steering, GPS part for parts. So they your orders now gents.

7. Kane_Thorp

Kane_Thorp I Love catching reds!!

Why I like sterling, not the shallowest floating, but will get you home at 60 mph in 3foot chop. My skiff on the other hand.... :p

8. dingdangdoo

ahh don't think so kid! Ain't no stering, hell's bay, mavericks, dolphin, ankona, hewes, beavertail boats gonna be getting home at 60MPH in a SOLID 3 foot chop. There were 20 foot center consoles yesterday out there with me and it looked like they were strugging at 20MPH!

9. Kane_Thorp

Kane_Thorp I Love catching reds!!

I'll do 60 in the sterling in 3 footers. We've done it. It's kind of scary if they hit you from the side and if your going against them the tabs help to put the bow down. We were also out yesterday but never broke into the fish. Ended up with 6 reds and a few trout :cool:. Ps. I tend to underestimate WAVES but overestimate CHOP. So probably more like 2ft ;D

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Please post a video of you doing 60 in 2-3 foot chop. I think it would be very educational watching a 1,000 pound boat repeatedly beating up 4 ton waves.

11. dingdangdoo

I know the kid is full of it, ain't no one going 60MPH in 2-3 foot chop. Inexperience talking right there. Boats are so unstable at that speed add 3 foot waves, NO WAY IN HELL KID! You will be like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UEETjztLqI&feature=related

12. zmgsvt

zmgsvt I Love microskiff.com!

Contender, yellowfin, fountain... jk

Glad you made it in safe, doesn't take long for things to get really bad.

13. dingdangdoo

well yes those big name offshore boats BUT NO SKIFF is going that fast in3 foot chop. Haven't seen it yet.

14. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Big boat - yes. 20'er - questionable but definately not safe.

15. Sheremeta

Sheremeta Well-Known Member

sterling is a nice boat and has several hulls in their line up. The larger hulls have a sharp v entry and are on the heavy side. 60 in 3 foot waves may not be the best ride but its not impossible.  The 220xs model is just a shearwater with a flats boat style top cap.

Dolphin brags that "The U.S. Rangers comfortably run their 18' Backcountry Pro’s over 55mph in a 3' chop!"  While I rather own a Dolphin backcountry pro, the shearwater/sterling 220xs rides much better in heavy chop than the dolphin.

And good idea on keeping your boat.

16. eric_f

eric_f I Love microskiff.com!

i have owned a 18 sterling 115 mercury,22 shearwater 250 pro xb mercury,and a 22 sterling 250 mercury pro xb. YOU CAN NOT RUN 60 IN A 3 FT CHOP.

17. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

a lighting storm...... never been caught in one, but a lightning storm, yes ;D

18. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Time for another bringback... ;)

19. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Glad you made it.

I got flipped over backwards in an 18' boat by a microburst years ago. It's a fun story to tell, but that will not happen to me again. I don't care how hot the bite is.

If I were dumb enough to get caught again and couldn't make it to land. I would throw out an anchor on the longest rope in the boat. That way you can focus on keeping the boat from turning over sideways and bailing. You can't see to drive anyway.

The guys that anchored and got out of the boat did the best thing.

The guys that were going with the waves probably didn't have an anchor or have heard stories like mine where the wind can get under a 2000 pound boat and blow it over backwards like it is a sheet of paper. If they didn't sink they made a better decision than I did 30 years ago.

As for 60 MPH in a 3' chop that boat will have to be over 30' long with over 600 HP for me to ride in it without a mutiny occuring.

20. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Hope this link works.
    Sorry had to do it..
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12574712/stikz-movie