Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Seigler SF reel that I'm pretty pumped about. For anyone unaware they have a 'Box Challenge' with four fish woodburned onto the outside of the box. If you catch all four fish on the reel and take pictures they will send you another reel. I'm itchy to get started and one of the fish is a trigger fish.

I think I can figure out how to catch the other three locally, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with DIY trigger fishing and locations.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throw a chum bag anywhere outside of 30 feet of water in south Florida and they’ll find you
There we go! Can't say I thought of that, but it could get the job done!
I live in New Smyrna Beach. Probably too far north but it would be interesting to poke around off the coast around some wrecks and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Before you go hunting the gray triggerfish (very, very good eating once you get past that tough thick skin...) make a point of looking up the regs on them at myfwc.com.

Back when I worked on charterboats (early seventies) we'd catch them off the dock at Haulover killing time between charters. Nowadays they actually have seasons, limits, etc. One of the first captains I ever worked for turned me on to big triggers by pointing out that in the islands folks will trade you a grouper for a big trigger...

If I had to choose between a tripletail and a big trigger I'd have to think about it...

·
Fine line between recreation and degeneracy.
1978 mako 17
323 Posts
Before you go hunting the gray triggerfish (very, very good eating once you get past that tough thick skin...) make a point of looking up the regs on them at myfwc.com.

Back when I worked on charterboats (early seventies) we'd catch them off the dock at Haulover killing time between charters. Nowadays they actually have seasons, limits, etc. One of the first captains I ever worked for turned me on to big triggers by pointing out that in the islands folks will trade you a grouper for a big trigger...

If I had to choose between a tripletail and a big trigger I'd have to think about it...
Triggerfish are tasty and honestly I don’t think I’ve ever measured one in my life before tossing him in the cooler. But cmon now (And they are the fucking devil to dress). But put some spec’ on that tripletails name. Way better eating.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have caught several in Mexico/Caribbean just walking the shoreline. They take clousers just fine (I like a tan/olive clouser with red eyes). I just watch them cruise the shoreline or reef and cast ahead of them and come tight. You will see them dive for the fly then strip on any feel of a hit. Just be sure to take a few flies as they destroy stuff.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just caught my first one on the fly - a Queen Triggerfish. I was fishing a drop off in the Caribbean. Unfortunately I was using heavy gear because you never know what else is cruising along those walls. We were chumming. I was dredging a large pink and white clouser on a heavy sinking line. The fish still put up a good fight. It was a good size and ended up feeding 3 people. I would love to find them in a shallow area with lighter tackle. I also found Grays fishing offshore Port Canaveral but not on fly tackle - deep water again.

·
waterman 16
443 Posts
Like a number of fish, they are different beast on the flats than they are in deep water. I caught two walking a shoreline in the Abacos last summer with normal bonefish flies. They can be tricky to feed and really fight great on a 7 wt or similar.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Go out of ponce when we get an upwelling. A lot of the fish go way up in the column. Triggerfish are always crushing baits here on the way to the bottom (few YouTube videos showing it).
I def think it could be done out of ponce it just may not be traditional

·
Registered
424 Posts
(And they are the fucking devil to dress). B.
Take an electric fillet knife to cut through the tough skin. Then finish using your regular fillet knife. You can get through a bunch of triggers easy. Goes the same for other tough skinned fish and it doesn't wear out your fillet knife.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Triggers can be found on just about any offshore structure. Natural or man made. Either chum them up of if shallow enough use a heavy sinking line and send a small shrimp, squid or crab fly down to them.
They can also be found on the flats. I saw a bunch on the flats in Belize when looking for permit. A small crab fly will get the job done on these guys. Just be stealthy as they can be a wary fish when on the flats.
They do taste great. Very underrated fish because most angler hate cleaning them with that tough skin. If you know you will be targeting them buy a serrated knife. It will cut right through the skin no problem. Then use a normal fillet knife and fillet like any other fish.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. It would be pretty cool to figure out how to chum some up to the top. I live in New Smyrna but really never have ventured out of the inlet at all in my little Waterman Tunnel.............

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ya that would be too small. Find someone to take you to the party grounds which is about 16-17 miles and sit over a coral head drop a fly down

1 - 13 of 13 Posts