Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just bought my first skiff which is a 2007 Dolphin 16 SS. I had been fishing on a friend of mines for about 3 years now and loved it so I couldn’t pass it up when I saw this one. Anyways, the skiff came with a casting platform that the previous owner never used since he would throw a cooler up front. I need to be able to tighten down the platform due to long open water runs. The platform came loose after the first trip crossing some nasty chop. This is when I realized the mounting eye didn’t have any support on the underside of the deck. It was just screwed into the deck with 3/4” long machine screws. My question is where do I go from here to secure it? I have no access to the underside due to the gas tank in front of the hatch. I’ve heard some companies put mounting plates for trolling motors etc on the underside of the deck for decks with no access but I don’t know if Dolphin does this. After some reading on this forum, it seems stainless toggle bolts might be my best option, but I don’t know how far the gas tank extends forward and definitely don’t want to drill into that. I’ve tried to call Dolphin a few times and sent an email with no response. I’ve added some photos of the deck layout and the mounting eye. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,012 Posts
First we need more pictures like where you want to mount it. Just go to Kennedy tie downs and get everything you need. You will need a SS turn buckle then SS screws and eye bolts. Can you not get under the front deck?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First we need more pictures like where you want to mount it. Just go to Kennedy tie downs and get everything you need. You will need a SS turn buckle then SS screws and eye bolts. Can you not get under the front deck?
Nope, that’s the problem. I have the turnbuckle and hardware. There are already two holes in the deck where the eye was originally mounted. I’d like to just keep it there, but need ideas on securing it with no access to the underside of the deck.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,012 Posts
Then use SS wood screws, 5200 them in

·
Registered
125 Posts
Depending on the size of your tank there isn’t much room to get a bolt on the underside. You’ll have to unscrew your gas fill and take the hose off the tank to be able to reach. I did the same on mine but still couldn’t get as far forward as I wanted. The spot you already have holes drilled will be just fine if your platform isn’t XL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts