Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
~Skiffs Rock~
2016 Lagoon Skiff by A&L Fiberglass
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out how to show - by having a design cut into my SeaDek - a clock time on my new casting platform decking. I am always amazed when I say, "12 is always straight ahead off the bow," how many people get caught up in the heat of the moment and forget where 12 is on the clock. And I start my direction calls from the clock just about all the time. SO, I am looking for a practical, readable design for the SeaDek. Anybody have pix for my friends at TopDek to go from for design?

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail B2
102 Posts
I try to get them to point their rod at the time when I call out time/distance if fish not seen. Then from there I say left or right depending on where they are pointing. You may need to also put on the SeaDeck which way is right and left if they are having a hard time knowing how to tell time in reference to the bow of boat.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I guess if you want to but dang, it seems pretty straight forward.

True story, fishing with a friend once. I'm on the bow and he is pushing the skiff. He says fish at 3 o'clock. Meanwhile I am focused on a better fish at 11 o'clock. Eventually while I am casting, he is yelling at me "do you you understand what where 3 o'oclock is?" I reply yes as I'm strip setting the better fish at 11:00. Fish on!

·
Registered
867 Posts
In the heat of the moment they are not going to look down, read the seadek, then start their cast. I want their eyes on the water not at their feet.

Best is to do some practice (clock angles and distance) right as you enter the flat to get used to the communication and practice working as a team. If they are not getting the clock then move to the point the rod method.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,494 Posts
Meanwhile I am focused on a better fish at 11 o'clock. Eventually while I am casting, he is yelling at me "do you you understand what where 3 o'oclock is?" I reply yes as I'm strip setting the better fish at 11:00. Fish on!
Last good fish I had on was fed at 8 o'clock while buddy on the pole was telling me about the fish at 2 o'clock...I was thinking about water hauling a back cast when the first option pounced on the fly...good times...

Just have them repeat, "The nose is always noon" over and over until it sinks in...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Not mine but here is a design idea for you.

View attachment 166083
Where's the 6. LOL
I guess if you want to but dang, it seems pretty straight forward.

True story, fishing with a friend once. I'm on the bow and he is pushing the skiff. He says fish at 3 o'clock. Meanwhile I am focused on a better fish at 11 o'clock. Eventually while I am casting, he is yelling at me "do you you understand what where 3 o'oclock is?" I reply yes as I'm strip setting the better fish at 11:00. Fish on!
If your right handed, you could of nailed him with the backcast.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The idea of needing something like this seems crazy at first, but like all of you I've had to explain not only where 12 o'clock is, but all the other hours as well. And don't get me started on what if the guy is facing 9 o'clock and I say fish at 11. I know he is thinking 11 from his current position (assuming he got the clock thing kinda figured out). Kinda hilarious if you think about it. I say let's introduce military time into this whole thing, but only when fishing after dark. Fish at 1900. Come on, you know that's funny.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,012 Posts
I'm an old crumugen, so when I go for my physical each year, you are ask to remember 3 items, then they start talking and then ask what are the 3 items. So far I don't have trouble with always nail it. Then they ask you to draw a clock face and show like 8 o'clock. Try it without looking at a clock face, like the one above

·
Banned
406 Posts
I am trying to figure out how to show - by having a design cut into my SeaDek - a clock time on my new casting platform decking. I am always amazed when I say, "12 is always straight ahead off the bow," how many people get caught up in the heat of the moment and forget where 12 is on the clock. And I start my direction calls from the clock just about all the time. SO, I am looking for a practical, readable design for the SeaDek. Anybody have pix for my friends at TopDek to go from for design?
That's redneckery at it's finest. I commend you.

Very few of my friends get it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A friend of mine has it in the sea deck on his bow, says he thinks it helps him keep 9 and 3 straight when he’s on the push pole more than the angler

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
point their rod
When I go with a guide for Tarpon all I want is clock/distance.

Most of the time I see the fish(s) a few seconds after he calls out.
I'll point my rod where I plan to cast and only on one occasion over the years did I come close on the back cast to catching the guide. (you know you were close when they say ..uck :) )

I tell em from the start I'm good to 65 feet and can cast further but that's my "comfort zone" and tell them that if they start chanting "strip... strip...strip" it's just annoying.

If I were a guide (bless them) I'd ask my clients to make a few casts for me before I put them on a fish.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts