Cast net

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by State fish rob, Apr 22, 2017.

1. State fish rob

State fish rob Active Member

looking for new cast net. 8' -12' diameter. Have only used low end nets thus far
    All suggestions appreciated thanks ahead of time

2. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Tim wade
    What kind of bait are you after?

Megalops likes this.

3. Megalops

Megalops Rex Kwan Do Dojo

Throwing a 8ft Calusa 3/8th mesh. Good all purpose net for my skiff. Heard nothing but good things about Tim Wades. Got a buddy who runs a Dorado 23 and he loves his TW.

4. KnotHome

KnotHome "I got to stop wishin'. I've got to go fishin

Check out Brunson: https://www.brunsonnet.com/index.cfm
    They're very helpful if you go in their shop (in Alabama), and I imagine it'd be the same if you call. Tim Wade, Calusa, and other high end nets are nice, but it doesn't cost a fortune to buy a net that opens.

State fish rob likes this.
  5. State fish rob

State fish rob Active Member

Typically3"to 6" mullet & menhaden. 3' to 15' of water
    How about contact info for tw. Thx

6. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

(321) 729-9537
    He can make you what ever you need

7. Gatorgrizz27

Gatorgrizz27 I Love microskiff.com!

IMO it depends on how good you are at throwing the net. A net with more lead will sink faster in deep water, and a larger net can catch more bait per cast. However, if you aren't the strongest thrower in the world, a smaller, lighter net is much easier to throw, manage, go through after a cast, and continue throwing rather than becoming worn out.

4-5 perfect casts with a 12' net might fill the livewell, but so will 10-15 pretty decent casts with a 6' net.

8. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Nets are sold in radius lengths, not diameter. I recommend a general purpose net like a heavily weighted 3/8", tho the bait and depth you are in will be better with 1/2", tho you either lose or gill smaller baits. If just fishing by yourself or 1 other person, an 8ft will work. If 2-3 people, maybe a 10ft. If more than 3, a 12ftft net, but you better have a good back.

Nothing replaces a good quality net. Junky cheap nets gets you crappy results.

LEarn how to properly chum bait and one or 2 throws will be all you need to do to turn your livewell black with bait. Also good hi-flo bait pumps are a must in hot weather and hot water.