Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I picked up an '89 Carolina Skiff as a project to familiarize myself working with things like fiberglass and gel coat.

When I was washing down the boat, I was under the impression that these two "modular decks" (please tell me if there if a more correct term) were cored with wood.

Now that I have one off and have flipped it over, it seems to have a foam core material. I know it's in poor shape, but it almost seems like that green floral foam. Is anyone familiar with this material? Or the best was to proceed with a repair?

20200608_181308.jpg

The underside of the rear removable deck

20200608_181250.jpg

This is the top side. I'm guessing my best course of action is to sand it down and apply new gel coat?

20200608_181516.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Being an ‘89, it’s wood unless it’s been repaired already! It looks like the factory plywood squares they used for years and years. I’d also be willing to bet it’s a little spongy. Not sure what the foam you are seeing is. Could be anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being an ‘89, it’s wood unless it’s been repaired already! It looks like the factory plywood squares they used for years and years. I’d also be willing to bet it’s a little spongy. Not sure what the foam you are seeing is. Could be anything.
I think you are correct. The foam is only around a few of those opening. Someone's half-assed attempt to fix the rot. The rest is wood mush.

I suppose I need to go down to Harbor Freight and pick up an oscillating multi tool to cut out the core.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Or a diamond tile wheel for a 4” grinder if ya have one. I would support the deck real good before cutting out the core.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts