Carolina Skiff J16 Center Console / Cooler seat Instalation

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by CtheProducer, Jul 10, 2015.

1. I have been working on switching the odd seat the guy I purchased it from had glassed it into the deck. He said it was a throne for his wife, and actually mine loved sitting in it too. But that center console itch was not going away, so the seat had to. Plus it was very impractical, with nowhere to mount anything too.

Couple photos of the project at hand
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan was to cut into the side of the fiberglass and hopefully pop off the top layer, then grind the rest down. It kind of went like that, but a lot of sweat was involved. Plus I realize I was lied to, and they did in fact cut channels for this thing into the deck, when I was told the whole purpose of doing it this way was to not puncture the deck. It just threw me off a little causing me to grind a little too far down....

2. Cut and grinding the board out. At first I was hoping I could cut around the edge, and pull on the seat to rip the top layer off, that did not work.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I then cut sections to pry off, was still a pain but I eventually removed the top layer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then ground down to what I thought was the deck, as I did not think nor was told, the original installation penetrated it. But as you can see there is some sort of channel that was created.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. This type of grinding pad worked way better than the ones stating they were for fiberglass
    [​IMG]

This is where I was confused when grinding and went too deep, oops! I never hit foam though  ;D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I skipped a couple photos.... It was saying it felt like 107 out, I was in a full painters suite, goggles, mask, and gloves......
    I went and purchased some 3M fiberglass stranded bondo to fill back in the mistake by grinding too deep, and then hit it with some primer after drying and sanding.
    [​IMG]

I then went to west marine and bought the only deck paint they had. I would have like to get the textured paint, but did not want to leave it un-sealed for a week in the heavy FL summer rains. So now I have a very very white square. Did someone say sea deck when this is all done? I think so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Then I hit the Craigslist lottery and found this amazing deal on an actually CS cooler seat! One of the things I like the most is I can remove the cooler for cleaning if needed.

[​IMG]

Ready for the 5200 and stainless screws now! Plus measuring, lots and lots and lots of measuring.
    [​IMG]

5. And the final product. So far so good. Just need to get the steering conversion kit figured out, window and grab bar mounted, seat pads, and sea deck put down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Great layout C

how did you mount the console and seat skeleton?

7. Thanks! I used 1 1/2" #12 stainless screws for the console, drilling a pilot hole, and using lots of 5200. Can't remember the size of the drill bit I used, but it was as big as the shaft of the screw. I then used 2" #12 stainless screws for the cooler frame. They go in at an angle and the pipe is 1" so this gave me 1" into the deck and seems to hold well. I would have probably went 2 1/4" but big box hardware stores did not have any that size, they jumped right to 3".