Carburetor Cleaning on a 1979 140 HP Johnson

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Frank_Sebastian, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I just finished the carbs on the Johnson mentioned above. It had an Evinrude shroud on it and I was told it was a 95 Evinrude.

Since I had already ordered the parts for the 95 Evinrude and was very familiar with that engine, I asked my friend to just bring me the carbs. When I saw them (they were for an old cross flow 1979 as it turned out) I realized I needed the proper kits and called them in. I soaked the carbs for a half hour and they were still a mess with the idle circuits totally blocked. I used fine leader wire to open up the passages enough for the carb cleaner to work. ( a big no no) and finally I soaked them in engine tuner by Yamaha for 2 days. That did the trick and a good thing as I was about to give up.

Now the rest of the story. I fear I am going to have trouble with the linkages and synchronizing the two carbs. The linkages were disassembled and put in a one gallon plastic bag. (not by me) If anyone has an older crossflow Evinrude or Johnson and could post or email a couple of photos I would be most grateful. Maybe Brett or someone could come up with a diagram as that might be even better.

Thanks and best regards,
    Frank_S

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Will this help?  :-? Same diagrams for a multitude of 1979 johnny-rude v4's

the carb assembly

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/41187.cfm

the intake manifold and carbs with linkages

http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/43656.cfm

From the throttle connection up

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1979/140ML79R%201979/CYLINDER%20AND%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

That covers all the parts from the throttle cable connection to the carbs

3. Frank_Sebastian

Thanks Brett, but the linkages are what I need.

Best regards,Frank_S

4. Frank_Sebastian

I got the linkages straightened out. It was much easier than I thought. Thanks Brett. You are always helpful.

Now the rest of the story. After explaining to the owner and his son about how an older engine is best used gently and not hot rodded around, they left Red's dock for a test run. I repaired an electrical outlet and cleaned up my boat and after a long time I became concerned enough to drop my boat in to go look for them. I was standing in my boat when they came around Judah's bar. They were well over the speed limit, but dropped off plane and idled in the last 200 yards. They were thrilled with how the boat ran and said they saw 53 MPH from the Wabasso bridge to the Hess Station ramp. I suppose I must have left something out in my lecture.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

5. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

That's typical. Though I have to admit after I clean the carb on mine I tend to "get on it" a bit more than usual. Next time tell them that the Feds like to hang around that area and don't have a sense of humor, that will slow them down. I mean the inlet isn't THAT far way so it's kinda true. ;)