Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to see what people’s thought on the ride quality on some of the fully carbon skiffs that are on the market (Drake, Chittum, etc). Not just in big swell but in good conditions as well. Heard that they can be not so smooth and you can feel everything, similar to the way you can feel everything in a flat bottom or a tunnel hull. I understand there is a huge difference between a 2 degree outlaw or waterman and a 12 degree Islamorada.

·
BBA Counselor
6,894 Posts
2 things mainly determine ride quality of a given hull. Hull shape (deadrise), and weight. If you have 2 12 degree boats, and one is 200 lbs lighter it will not ride as well in a chop. But in flat calm waters it won't matter as much.
For skinny waters a light weight skiff is an advantage. For offshore it can be a disadvantage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 things mainly determine ride quality of a given hull. Hull shape (deadrise), and weight. If you have 2 12 degree boats, and one is 200 lbs lighter it will not ride as well in a chop. But in flat calm waters it won't matter as much.
For skinny waters a light weight skiff is an advantage. For offshore it can be a disadvantage.
Yes sir I understand that just seeing if anyone has personal experience with any of the carbon boats because of the light weight and carbon being stiffer then fiberglass if it makes that much of a difference in ride quality compared to a boat in the same category that’s fiberglass

·
BBA Counselor
6,894 Posts
The boats aren't necessarily any stiffer. Using carbon means they can make a thinner lamination and reduce weight, so it's very boat dependant on if there is a difference in stiffness at all. I've only been on a few carbon kevlar composite boats, but never noticed a huge difference.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My Advent is carbon, not 100% carbon build but the hull is carbon. I don’t know if it really makes a huge difference other than weight. The ride is very good plus being able to say you have a carbon boat is a plus lol

·
Registered
358 Posts
A friend of mine (who may still be on this site) seems to change boats every 2 years and has had a 18' flats boat in fiberglass and then the same exact boat in carbon kevlar; then he bought a 21' flats boat in fiberglass and then another in carbon kevlar. According to him, fiberglass has a softer more enjoyable ride but he is always after speed and the latest and greatest so that was not his most important factor.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
My experience is:

Lighter boats ride better. And carbon is soft.

I’ve seen this comparing: Laguna Madre 1 (glass & carbon) vs lighter Laguna Madre 2 (full carbon) which rides better. Snake Bight 12 degrees full carbon vs lighter Mangrove 12 degree (composite w/ 15% carbon)—better ride. Then comparing Mangrove 12 degree in glass vs Mangrove 12 degree in full carbon, the full carbon rides slightly better and is very soft. The full carbon Chittums have little to no stringers which isolates the liner floor from hull vibrations.

People will begin to understand that the lighter boats glide over waves and the bow doesn’t land as hard. There have not been many light boats built in this class for people to widely experience this difference. Obviously a lighter boat doesn’t ride as well when idling. But once under way the light boats ride very well.

Lastly, the 12 degree Mangrove is absolutely the way to go if you don’t need draft of under 7 inches.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I tested the Chittum 12 deg at the boat show over decent chop and that thing was impressively smooth. Before taking that demo I was on the school of "light means bad when choppy". Not anymore...
Exaclty, I awalys chuckle at those who make statements that lighter boats in chop ride worse when they do not reference having been on either boat in question. My 12° Mangrove is incredibly smooth and mean with that 50 tohatsu.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I dont think they ride any rougher per say, the boat just has a different feel to it while on the running surface. With my experience on a few full carbon boats including the chittum, the stringer system or lack there of in cases is what provides a different feel compared to a traditional hull configuration. they dont ride rough they just ride different if that makes sense

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've been on the Drake Outlaw a couple times. On smooth days and playing in chop. The ride was comfortable and I didn't feel like I was bouncing around any differently from a fiberglass skiff. I think it depends more on hull shape and dead rise and build specs more than material.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I ran a mostly fiberglass Chittum Mangrove 12 degree the past 2 days. After trialing the full carbon 12 degree Mangrove boat in Miami, I have to say the carbon boat has a better ride. I believe the better ride is because of the 80-100 pound weight savings that is achieved through full carbon build.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts