Carbon Marine Logo feedback

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JoeWelbourn, Jul 21, 2007.

1. JoeWelbourn

JoeWelbourn "The Flats Solicitor"

I hired a firm to design a logo and website for Carbon Marine.  After hours of work and several revisions  this is a "rough version" of the final.  Tell me what you think: good, bad, indifferent.

[​IMG]

Joe

2. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Joe,
    Looks good, not too much and just enough to catch your eye! I vote for it.
    Weedy

3. Garry

Garry Well-Known Member

I like it!!!

4. EATME

EATME Guest

Looks like he's playin with it pole...LOL

5. Garry

Garry Well-Known Member

Have you thought about getting stickers made up???

6. JoeWelbourn

Oh ya. Stickers, shirts, hats, the required swag for promotion. Bikini bottoms--you know everyone looks there first. ;)

7. inboardgheenoeguy

inboardgheenoeguy Well-Known Member

looks good joe! I would go with that one!

8. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Looks good, but honestly, to me it has nothing to do with "carbon". You company is about carbon right? Carbon products, carbon technology, state of the art concepts and ideas etc. What I see really doesn't tie in with your companies products/services other than it's got a boat on it and your company name has marine in it. That design could be for any boat/guide/marine industry product or service by changing the name. If it were me (and I realize it's not ;D ) I would scratch that and bring more of a tech/marine/carbon look to your corp. identity. You need to brand you company with an easily identifiable logo or catch phrase. Think coke or maverick logos. Think how they are used in a multitude of media, print, on air, shirts, signs, stickers. What you have there would be too cost prohibitive to create brand merchandise and materials. You don't want to create a multi color logo or brand ID that can not be translated into other less colorful media without loss to the ID or designs image.

My background in print/media for the last nearly 20 years kinds of puts a real downer to this post, I realize that. Sorry in advance if it sounds harsh. I have seen way too many logos/brand identities in my time and can too easily find their faults. I have created brand awareness for small mom and pop companies and large multi billion dollar global cruise lines. There are a lot of concepts that will help polish your brand ID into a beauty of a gem. But that's gona cost ya... ;D ;D :D :D

This is free though, just remember K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple silly) [smiley=1-biggrin.gif]

Cheers
    Jan

9. Bring it on Joe!

10. iMacattack

see now your talkin! There is a lot you could do with a periodic table... oh my mind is spinning with ideas... :eek:

11. JoeWelbourn

That is awesome feedback Capt Jan!  Upset!  Heck no!  More like grateful.  I totally agree with you.  I have been struggling with this logo design for about 3 weeks now.  I hired a firm and got 12 concepts.  Two had a fiber theme, but no marine tie-in.  I have poured hours into the processes and I have not found the one that just "grabs" me.  You know the feeling.  Here are the concepts I have so far.  I just can't seem to bridge the gap between fishing, baoting and high-tech carbon composite engineering. The concepts I have so far are either too complex to span all the media necessary to give a logo "legs" or lack a tie to carbon fiber and/or the boating/fishing acessories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apprecite your input and that is exactly why I started this thread. I realized I am not getting what I want and felt I might get some unforeseen inspiration from some fellow microskiff pros.

Joe

12. iMacattack

Ok Joe now we are getting somewhere... ;D

First I am not a commercial artist by trade, I'm a tech junkie in the print/media field. I know what works and what is appealing to my eye. But it's hard for me to design it myself.

Some of the ideas you have above look nice but like you say little to no tie into what you do... here is a super simple, quick idea I had for you, it's a 20 minute "design" that could use to tweaks. I could incorp some of the ideas from above into it to make it more tech looking.

Just a concept, but with some gentle massaging it could look sweet!

Cheers

13. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

Joe you'll end up with something great!
    I really like the look of the carbon fiber texture and think it looks would
    good somewhere on the logo. Dave

14. iMacattack

Ok last free-bee... ;D

slight tweak... But it shows how the logo does not loose much if any brand ID moving from colorful complex to simple.

15. JoeWelbourn

Nice!.  I tweaked it a little how is this:

[​IMG]

Joe

16. iMacattack

see now your thinking... ;D

17. Garry

Garry Well-Known Member

This looks awesome

18. iMacattack

Watching the Tour, playing on the puter! What ya think? Something a little different...

19. iMacattack

one more... creative juices flowing... or is that the coconut rum... ;D