Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to take delivery on my new skiff. In the past I have either use mats or stripping baskets. I am considering putting on the Carbon Marine spikes as I have heard a decent amount of positive feedback from people that use them.

My first question is how well do they hold up? Secondly what is a good spacing to use when you install them? And lastly are there any better options to consider?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Really like mine and they have held up great. I think mine are spaced about 6", but I would do 5" if possible. I still use a bucket in high wind

·
Panhandler
2,720 Posts
Carbon Marine makes some good stuff, but I prefer a non-porcupine bow. A stripping bucket or mat can be stowed in a hatch or down in the cockpit when not in use.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I was thinking of removable linear mats like the round mats. I have a friend making them soon to try out. Lay two linear mats on each side. May be real bad idea but I don’t want to adhere them to my deck. Obviously would pull them done off deck to take off.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I went with 36 clear with white bases, doing a cool removeable rail install for days when I don’t need or want them and for storing the boat with the cover on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...tma0KHcZICpEQrQIoBDAAegQIBRAW&biw=375&bih=749
My hull is going to be ice blue so I'm thinking of matching that. Like to keep a clean look as we all know that is a big factor for catching fish lol. Do they ever get fouled up when deploying or stowing the trolling motor? Wish I did not have to put one on but being that I live in GA and spend a good part of the winter chasing striper, it's a necessary evil.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carbon Marine makes some good stuff, but I prefer a non-porcupine bow. A stripping bucket or mat can be stowed in a hatch or down in the cockpit when not in use.
I agree but the mat is not enough on really windy days and the basket is nice but can make the cockpit crowded when I have 3+ onboard. Just going through all the options.

P.S. I have had the basket scuff up my last skiff a few times in rough water.

·
Panhandler
2,720 Posts
I had a Line Tamer tall bucket but also the luxury that it would fit inside the forward hatch on the Bayshore. I'm using a spike mat now on the Mosquito. If it's too rough, I probably won't be fly fishing anyway.

Good luck and post up some pix of the Strike. Love to see it and hear your impression.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Elite :D Cant wait. I have been on a few strikes and I really like them but can be a bit noisy in any kind of chop. Going to really miss the Mosquito though. That boat was always surprising me.

·
Panhandler
2,720 Posts
My bad. Really interested in your thoughts on the Elite.

And yes, the Mosquito is an impressive ride for its size/design.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Her first trip is going to be to choko after I break her in (day 2 after delivery lol.) Going to be a negative low tide at 7 am so I really will be pushing the limits. I would not have thought twice launching early with the mosquito.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How well do the spikes work with a 15mph+ wind? Does using a mat help, and can I put away the basket?

·
Registered
916 Posts
The spikes don't work very well when the wind picks up like that. I thought they would be the solution to a basket, but they weren't. I ended up pulling them off.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,509 Posts
The spikes work best when used in conjunction with a mat. Think of them as a last line of defense IMHO...

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,643 Posts
My hull is going to be ice blue so I'm thinking of matching that. ....
The Ice Blue of my boat is close to the light blue bases.
Don't get too close to them with a pressure washer and they'll last a long time.
The spikes can get pulled out from the base by an anchor rope, dock line, or sliding anything across them. But with a little soapy water you can slide them back under.
I would not get the white spikes again because they turn black from road grime, and as previously stated you can't hit them with a pressure washer.

BCBB2DBA-0EC2-4888-ADA7-915D49BDD2C1.jpeg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Ice Blue of my boat is close to the light blue bases.
Don't get too close to them with a pressure washer and they'll last a long time.
The spikes can get pulled out from the base by an anchor rope, dock line, or sliding anything across them. But with a little soapy water you can slide them back under.
I would not get the white spikes again because they turn black from road grime, and as previously stated you can't hit them with a pressure washer.

View attachment 118952
No worries there I never use a pressure washer on my boats. Try to keep a fresh coat of woodys wax on the nonskid to keep from having to do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts