Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my 22ft LOOP pole to a 24’ GL3. I really like the pole. It definitely wants to float more than the loop but I’m getting used to it. My concern is the texture. I do slide my hands quite a bit when poling. The texture chewed up a pair of sun gloves and it got the edge of my fingers a few times. Anyone else notice this or am I just a sissy?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
Great grip for the micro bumps texture. Probably my favorite pole as far as feel goes when leaning into it. Really don't like the noise my hands make sliding on it. I know it is a very nit picky thing but, it matters enough to me that I have a Stiffy Guide instead. The texture will smooth out a little over time and won't eat up your gloves. You also might try going hand over hand as well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great grip for the micro bumps texture. Probably my favorite pole as far as feel goes when leaning into it. Really don't like the noise my hands make sliding on it. I know it is a very nit picky thing but, it matters enough to me that I have a Stiffy Guide instead. The texture will smooth out a little over time and won't eat up your gloves. You also might try going hand over hand as well.
I was fishing over hard bottom so I like to use the point. My old pole I could gently let it slide through my fingers until I made contact, then push. With the GL3 it would just float up so I have to be a little more deliberate; I pinged the tip off the bottom a few times, I’m sure some fish got spooked out. I’m assuming the guide has the same issue?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
For anyone concerned about “how smooth” the surface of that new pushpole is… It would be a simple matter to wet sand it with very fine sandpaper (start with 600 grit, then 800, etc) until the surface meets your needs.
Make sure though to check with Joe at Carbon Marine first to make sure they say it’s okay…

·
Premium Member
2020 Hell's Bay Marquesa
106 Posts
I have a 24' Stiffy Guide that I'll trade you for the GL3 :cool:. I like the Stiffy just fine, but recently got to meet Joe and hold the GL3...absolutely love the texture and Carbon Marine is local. A little bummed I didn't consider his pushpoles before getting the Guide a couple of months ago.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 24' Stiffy Guide that I'll trade you for the GL3 :cool:. I like the Stiffy just fine, but recently got to meet Joe and hold the GL3...absolutely love the texture and Carbon Marine is local. A little bummed I didn't consider his pushpoles before getting the Guide a couple of months ago.
Hahaha, I appreciate it but I’ll hang on to this one. Great pole. It’ll be perfect when the texture wears down a bit.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,983 Posts
I was fishing over hard bottom so I like to use the point. My old pole I could gently let it slide through my fingers until I made contact, then push. With the GL3 it would just float up so I have to be a little more deliberate; I pinged the tip off the bottom a few times, I’m sure some fish got spooked out. I’m assuming the guide has the same issue?
Yes it does. I often have to deliberately push the pole down to the bottom. More common in slightly deeper water and over hard sand/mixed shell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts