Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a casting platform. Been using a Yeti for a while and it's just time. I've always appreciated carbon parts for vehicles I've had, but generally would only purchase if there was SOME functionality.

I've been eyeing the Carbon Platforms from EvolutionPlatforms.com but it's hard to justify a grand for one. Just was curious what the consensus was on whether they are worth any extra money over aluminum. I figure a good quality aluminum platform is about $650 installed, and the Carbon platform is about $1100.

Are they just eye candy? I fish the lagoon with no trolling motor in a 17.8 Waterman, and while weight-saving is cool........I'm not sure I would see a difference.

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
If the weight savings is the deciding factor it's not worth it. Having said that it depends on what you want to stare at on the front of your boat. Aesthetically the carbon fiber platforms look better in my opinion. The carbon marine platform is a little less expensive than the evolution platform you mentioned. Plus Joe's customer service is amazing. You will be hard pressed to find another person that will go to the lengths he does to make his customers happy.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
When I was building my boat I shopped the carbon platforms. They were 9 pounds and had 10.5 inch legs. Things may have changed since 17' but that's what I was quoted back then. My similarly sized aluminum platform is six inches taller and weighs 16 pounds with turnbuckle and stainless shackle hanging from the bottom.

The difference is about as much as a six pack of gas station tall boys.

·
Registered
630 Posts
A member (@Jred ) on here made me a carbon fiber one, and I’ve been putting it through a “torture test” so to speak. Has been great so far. Looks good too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had the Evolution Design Carbon Platforms for just over a year now. Last week my buddy (weights 250-275) fell from my poling platform onto my step up platform directly underneth. He fell on his stomach laying across the platform. I watched this happen in what fell like slow-motion thinking the platform was going to give... No problem! The carbon is extremely strong. Yes In my opinion it looks awesome as well. Weight savings? YES... Enough to make a difference NO.

·
Lip Ripper
1,715 Posts
I'm in the camp of it's not worth it unless you just think it looks cool. Also, if you have a bare aluminum poling platform I think a carbon casting platform will look kind of out of place. Either way i feel like you're over estimating an aluminum casting platform, I'd imagine you'll be able to get an oversized aluminum platform for between $400-$500.

Also, a powder coated aluminum platform will be around $600 or less and from 20' away you won't notice a difference between that and carbon

·
Registered
850 Posts
I paid $440, including tax, for my bluepoint aluminum casting platform. Same model as they put on new HB's. And then $60 or whatever it was for a Seadek pad for the top.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts