Carb Rebuild

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by tomahawk, Dec 13, 2014.

1. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

OK, I have a 2009 Nissan/Tohatsu 20 HP 4s.
    I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I have the service manual and the carb kit. Im a little nervous about it as ive never done it before on an outboard . Whats the consensus?

2. floridascuba

floridascuba I Love microskiff.com!

Fairly easy. I was nervous my first time. I didn't break it down all the way. But enough to replace all parts. And I sprayed the heck out of it with carb cleaner and used compress air. This was a Yamaha carb though.

3. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Take notes & pictures as you disassemble, and the worst you can do is put it back together like you found it.

4. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Make sure you don't have to have a vacuum meter to set the carbs once finished. Don't know anything about Nissan/Tohatsu but the original Mercs 4S carbed engines you had to have a special meter to set the carbs once you put everything back together. And it was impossible to do it by sound! If you have the factory manual it should tell you if you need to perform this step or not.

creek

5. tomahawk

tomahawk Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I'll study up on the manual and give it a shot if I don't need the fancy vacuum meter. I glanced over it a couple of weeks ago and I didn't notice any special tools needed.