Captiva Review

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DuckNut, Sep 24, 2012.

1. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

So last week I was out of town and rented a vehicle.  When I went to pick up this vehicle I walked up to this small reddish suv made by Chevy.  My first impression was this was a cute little vehicle that I have never seen before, but then I opened the door.   

On the inside I was greeted by a plethora of various textured plastic.  Doors, dash, seats, etc.  Everything was plastic.  I climbed into the seat and started to plug in my gps.  I looked and looked for an outlet but I could not find one.  After a while of looking I found one buried in the inside of the center console under the cup holder that once plugged in the cup holder would not close because of the cord.

Once on the road I found it a chore to drive for such a small vehicle.  The steering was quite sharp but the top heavy vehicle had far too much roll.  You could feel a top heavy lean even when changing lanes.  When accelerating I was greeted with a loud whining noise coming from under the hood as the vehicle crept up to speed.  The obtrusive road noise was partially doused by the wind noise.

The dash was a pleasant surprise as I felt it was laid out nicely and was quite stylish.  The center command center was a throwback to the early years of digital equipment.  The radio was a simple one line display that harkened back to 1985.  The climate controls were nothing but a couple dials that were reminiscent of the old Chrysler K cars, but at least they didn’t use levers.  The entire center was surrounded by a highly polished piece of plastic.  What I found was the most irritating was the chromed plastic.  This stuff was like a pinstripe around each dial, gauge, instrument cluster and various other items on the dash.  What caused this to be irritating was that it glared off the windshield and was impossible to look through the windshield without being distracted by the glare.

The side mirrors were so small that they were almost completely useless and I never felt safe driving it.

Near the end of my trip I looked at the average mileage and it showed 19.4 for the week I used it in real world driving.  I thought this was horrible for a small fancy station wagon with a 4 cylinder engine.  So I went to Chevy’s website to see what the ratings that were being claimed so I could compare the two.  HOLY CRAP! This Chevy Captiva is not even shown on their website.  How fitting.  .  After all, isn’t the idea of advertising  to generate interest and sales?  My guesstimate is that this thing won’t be produced for long.  It would be interesting to find out why Chevy is producing a vehicle and they won’t admit it by advertising it on their website.  After driving this brand spanking new vehicle (it had 814 miles on it when I picked it up) and driving it all I can say is that this is a piece of garbage and  I would be embarrassed to produce such a car. 

2. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

omg  :) i want one ........

3. el9surf

el9surf Well-Known Member

The anti Chevy ad I have been waiting for. LOL

Take that pop ups!

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

No, it was not intended as an anti Chevy post. It is a public service announcement for the betterment of the brotherhood.

Besides, the new owners do not care about the irritating ad as they have proved unresponsive to emails by various people on here as well as a personal call out on here.

5. mhinkle90

mhinkle90 Let it scream!!!

i sent countless emails about the ad and about the copyright of making shirts with microskiff on them. never once got an emailed replied to.

6. Dillusion

Dillusion devilray snob

It seems that outdoorhub doesn't care about this website after the aquisition, I've come to this conclusion after numerous requests from users like yourself and the homepage being stagnant for almost a year now.

All they are doing is feeding off the traffic of this forum for ad revenue and that's it.

7. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

I can think of one positive: it gets better mileage than my excursion....

8. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

9. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

so does a tank :)

10. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Yea maybe but I could park it in the back of yours to keep it out of the rain and I think it would be hard pressed to pull a radio flyer wagon.

11. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Ducknut, i feel your pain brother.
    Every year when i go up to georgia for Yamaha school we take a rental.
    Last year we had a dodge caliber. Wow what a freakin pos...
    By the time i made it to orlando (2hours) my ass and back were stiff as a rock. The seats sucked. A 5 gallon bucket would be more comfortable. The interior sucked, the tranny was slipping (2,300 miles), it was just an uncomfortable pos. no ergonimics at all, armrests were super high, huge blindspots and it wasnt that good on gas either.
    This october were takin my buddies prius.
    I think its the only prius inthe world with a snook tag and a 1911 in the console lol

12. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

The Chevy captive is built off the Saturn Vue, and it's only for fleet production/rental production right now. Not sure if Chevy intends on building/releasing it for dealers and the public.

Next time rent the new Chevy Equinox, and Cut instead of a dodge caliber get the new Chevy Cruz. If these vechiles don't make you happy well then you know what the saying is, lol

One of my clients owns a couple dealerships and I have a deal worked out with him were me and the wife get any car we want to drive and his toys all stay in tip top shape. Wife has had both the Cruz and Equinox me I stick to a pick up or Tahoe.

13. cutrunner

I dont pay for the car. The company does. So i'll take what i can get..

14. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Creek - had an Equinox in the past and I will say it has much nicer plastic. I also tried the Acadia. That was a very nice vehicle but the mileage was horrible. It is a heavy vehicle for a v6.

Hyundai is making some real nice cars now and their quality is nearly first class.

Guess I am spoiled with my German makes. I truly enjoy the feeling of being a part of the driving experience with the German's rather than just being in a car and along for the ride.

15. cvilt

cvilt I Love microskiff.com!

That chevy suv sounds like the chevy Aveo. The company I work for bought a bunch of Aveos. 20 mpg max and at 12,000 miles they started falling apart at 50 they were useless and went to auction. Then they went to Calibers, one step above same with the same mpg but square corners everywhere inside my right knee was bruised for months getting into it. I am with you on German made cars but I am a Tundra guy from 2000. Best trucks I have ever owned

16. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

I've rented 20+ cars this year and there are some good cars coming from Detroit. Ford Fusion sport is a great little car. A pleasant suprise was the Ford Fiesta. The Focus is ok but not high on the totem pole. The new Taurus is fantastic. Chrysler 200 is great and the 300 is almost phenomenal (the years of German ownership really helped them) Buicks are all great. Hyundai and Kia are making some fine vehicles as well. I've had some Toyotas and if that is what buyers are looking for then they have been duped.

The Impala and Malibu are pure garbage.

The sad part is I grew up in a GM town, watched as 6 plants were tore down for scrap and today they are still light years behind. I can only wish them well as there are thousands of Americans that need them to remain in business.

17. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

I travel too. Most US rentals are rather pedestrian. A sea of mono colored plastic with the feel of stale marshmallows.

However by worst the Nissan Versa has been the most hatful car I have had thrust upon me to date.

Best? VW Beetle. Fun car that handled like a go cart.

18. cutrunner

Tell me about it.
    Me and the wife are looking for new cars for her and its tough..
    Cars today are such tasteless pos.
    Especially chevys cars. They have no style. Except for the vette and their trucks.

My wife thinks im nutz because i wanna sell my current truck and get an old 50's chevy stepside truck that been restored, or an old 56 belair red and white. Those cars are art on wheels

19. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

I guess I don't see the flaws since I don't buy have to pay for them and get a new 1 every 4k miles.

The wife and I love the cars and deal I have worked out.

20. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Cut-
    Since I have been in nearly all cars and have a fleet in the driveway, here is where I would be looking:

VW Passat
    Any Buick
    VW Jetta
    Hyundai Sonata
    Ford Fusion Sport or SEL
    Chrysler 300
    Ford Taurus

Cool car and lower price: Dodge Dart or Ford Fiesta

Jetta EOS is the car for fun factor.

I left out the premium brands on purpose.  If you are looking in that range PM me.