Captains lisence ?'s

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Bissell, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bissell

Bissell Microskiff.com... Priceless!

Ok so I've been looking on the Web and finding that I may not need a TWIC to get my lisence, I don't plan on doing much other than guiding or maybe Eco tours, can anyone verify that? I've found tons of links such as this with the explination.. I wouldn't use a twic to run lagoon charters would I?

http://www.nutsandboltsfishing.com/smf/index.php?topic=2315.0

2. richwalker71

richwalker71 Well-Known Member

If you read down the OP says that first timers still have to get a TWIC.

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

True. But in the second paragraph it states "obtain" and that would include first timers, or "renew" which would not be first timers.

Email the authority and get it from the horses mouth. Not all posts on message boards are as truthful as the Allstate ad.

4. richwalker71

If its on the Internet it true. ;)

5. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

I got my first license in the winter of 1996 so I'm on my third renewal (you'll be reewing every five years to keep active)....

For first timers you just can't beat a trip to your nearest Sea School. They'll not only prep you to takie the test (and usually test right where the School is..) but also walk you through the entire application process as well as lay out, up front, what qualifications you'll have to meet.... Given that the regs are in "militareze" and complicated enough to give anyone a headache... going with Sea School or a similar outfit is a strong recommendation from this captain.

By the way, I consider obtaining the TWIC to be one of the lesser hassles when getting that first ticket to ride.... Good luck and hope this helps....

6. DEEK

DEEK I Love microskiff.com!

You have to get it, and it's no big deal.

7. Bissell

If I'm reading this correctly I don't need it for what I want to do.

5. a.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/twic/pdfs/twic_809_policy_letter.pdf

8. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.

9. richwalker71

Last paragraph page 2 says for an initial MMC a TWIC is required.

10. Bissell

Ill explain my problem, in march it'll be a year since I have completed the course. I haven't had the money to finish all the requirements due to my financial situation. My parents are so kindly paying for what I have left as an Xmas gift. But from what I understand it may take up to 8 weeks to get the card, and I can't go in until febuary, that's the soonest apt date I can get. Which I'm afraid if I'm waiting on my twic I won't have it in time to turn in my uscg packet for my lisence.

11. richwalker71

That's a tough one. Pretty certain the CG will want the TWIC. Couldn't hurt to talk to someone and see if there is any latitude for the date deadlines.

12. FlyWrecker

FlyWrecker Well-Known Member

The TWIC Card is a requirement (Period).

All you have to show with your application to USCG is your confirmation that you paid and completed the biometrics for the TWIC. A lot of charter captains never actually pick up their card.

No TWIC = no 6-pack.

I don't know where you live, but the office in Tampa does NOT require an appointment, and you can walk in anytime during the business day.

Good Luck

13. flatsmaster22

flatsmaster22 Well-Known Member

I went to the office thats right by the port and they called me back a week later stating my card was ready to be picked up.