Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Captains For Clean Water “World’s Finest Skiff” raffle.

4989 Views 80 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  JC Designs
Who else has their names in the raffle? I’m feeling pretty good about it. It would be one hell of a winning.
21 - 40 of 81 Posts

· Brandon, FL
12,696 Posts
Can someone direct me to a comprehensive list of accomplishments of CFCW besides the organization's web site? From reports here they were credited with helping distribute needed supplies in the aftermath of the hurricane and that is commendable. But I am unaware of major legislative or agency impacts attributed to them that have made a significant difference in water quality or coastal habitat restoration in the state.
They are supportive of Bull Sugar, who are intertwined with Friends of the Everglades, who are funded by Paul Tudor Jones, who is fighting FL for oil drilling rights in the Everglades.

It's all good as long as the check clears behind the mirrors.

· Registered
2022 BT Elite
50 Posts
I’ve never met any of the boys from hells bay so no judgement of character or morals here, just pure speculation. But it probably serves them well to preserve and clean up the water in areas where most of their boats are designed for like the Everglades and the keys. If those areas decline, they aren’t gonna be selling anymore boats. But I do support anyone that makes the effort to cleanup and preserve ANY fishery, so hats off for that

· Premium Member
4,446 Posts
As far as water quality goes… Nothing changes until the flow is restored! The river of grass needs water or it ain’t much of a river! The Rodman dam up North needs to go away also, look at what’s happening up in the Silver river and all. Same shit, more algae because the water isn’t flowing the way mother nature intended!
As far as bureaucracies go… Good FN luck getting anything done through any government agency! I’ll be glad to share my experience privately!

As far as the skiff goes… GOOD luck to all that entered, hopefully a Microskiffer wins!🤙🏻

· I Love microskiff.com!
2007 Gordon Waterman 18
3,099 Posts
no dog in this fight but the 2019 990 is available on irs website. D. Andrews rec'd about $80k and C. Wittman received about $92k in 2019.

Dan and Chris gave up lucrative guide businesses to start CFCW. I imagine their current pay is quite a step down from what they were earning as full time guides. This organization and their efforts are worthy of everyone's support.

· Registered
161 Posts
As others have said, great org - Daniel and Chris are good people who sacrifice every day by taking on the hardest fights against corruption in the interest of clean water in this state. Btw the Friends of the Everglades / oil drilling comment is laughable, you even managed to butcher the (big-sugar propagated) conspiracy theory. (I am on the board of FOE and can assure you nothing could be further from the truth)

· Registered
1,038 Posts
So I'll ask again, can someone show an independent list of accomplishments for all these hard fights on behalf of improving water quality in the state?
It's a legtimate question. I wonder if their messaging has influenced actions, either directly or indirectly.

Gov DeSantis just announced $22M in funding to help clean up Biscayne Bay. I have no idea if CFCW played a role in that... but any group advocating and promoting the narrative for clean water and estuaries is a win in my book.

· Premium Member
4,446 Posts
As others have said, great org - Daniel and Chris are good people who sacrifice every day by taking on the hardest fights against corruption in the interest of clean water in this state. Btw the Friends of the Everglades / oil drilling comment is laughable, you even managed to butcher the (big-sugar propagated) conspiracy theory. (I am on the board of FOE and can assure you nothing could be further from the truth)
I’m all for the environment and clean up efforts and commend anyone advocating it without the hype of the “green” lies being spewed. That said… anyone making a salary for the work they do is not making a “sacrifice”. They have made a decision. I was a grossly underpaid state employee for 12 years! I used to tell myself it was for the good and that I was serving the public. I was only lying to myself though! I was making a choice to stay and do the job, not a sacrifice!

Reactions: Ironhead

· Registered
161 Posts
I’m all for the environment and clean up efforts and commend anyone advocating it without the hype of the “green” lies being spewed. That said… anyone making a salary for the work they do is not making a “sacrifice”. They have made a decision. I was a grossly underpaid state employee for 12 years! I used to tell myself it was for the good and that I was serving the public. I was only lying to myself though! I was making a choice to stay and do the job, not a sacrifice!
Not sure I follow that logic. So if they are paid a salary $5 a year that negates any sacrifice? Sounds like you made a decision to make a sacrifice to work for the state for less money than you could have made elsewhere. People make conscious decisions to sacrifice every day - both things can be true at the same time.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
I know of Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, CCA, Ducks Unlimited. Are there any other groups that lobby or promote clean water and the health of our estuariues? If so, are any of them more effective than CFCW?

CFCW brought in a little over $1M of revenue according to ther tax form and spent about 25% on salaried positions, 99% of which was to the two full-time Directors who earned $80K and $92K.

Home Depot pays $40-45K a year to stock shelves for 40-hours a week and still can't tell me where to find a toggle bolt.

I don't know anything about the former guides who run CFCW. While it would be great to have some rich and connected influential guy as the Director who spends his days golfing & dining with the Governor and local commissioners.... someone like that is not getting out of bed for $80K.

CFCW is a small and new organization. The question is really who is the better and more effective alternative?

· I Love microskiff.com!
2007 Gordon Waterman 18
3,099 Posts
So I'll ask again, can someone show an independent list of accomplishments for all these hard fights on behalf of improving water quality in the state?
Sent this to @Zika but wanted to post here as well:

Under the leadership of Governor DeSantis, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection has prioritized the preservation of Florida’s natural landscapes, enabling native ecosystems and the species they harbor to thrive. These historic and ongoing efforts are especially evident in the restoration and protection of America’s Everglades. Together with partners at the federal and local level, the state of Florida is spearheading one of the largest environmental restoration projects in the world by revitalizing America’s Everglades. Frankly, I do not think this would have happened if not for the efforts of Captains for Clean Water and the people and organizations that support its efforts.

Since its founding in 2016, here is an outline of some of the organization’s principal accomplishments:

• Formed CFCW in 2016 to help raise awareness about the blue-green algae bloom that was devastating the waters of SW Florida. Within days, over 300 supporters signed the petition that was submitted to the mayor of Fort Myers.
  • Rallied supporters to oppose Senate Bill 2508 that would have undone Everglades restoration (50,000 people contacted their legislators to express opposition to this proposed legislation and over 300 guides and other concerned citizens traveled to Tallahassee to express opposition). Ultimately, Governor DeSantis vetoed the bill
  • Secured $50,000 funding from Costa to support disaster relief and restoration efforts following hurricane Ian
  • Worked with Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation Marine Laboratory scientists to sample 26 sites offshore Sanibel and Captiva for the presence of Karenia brevis, the micro algae that causes red tide
  • Joined other organizations to offer support to the Army Corp of Engineers efforts by filing a joint amicus brief filed by the Everglades Law Center to highlight the inaccuracies of the big sugar industry attempt to stop construction of the EAA reservoir, a critical component in the plan to restore water flow to South Florida. CFCW raised awareness of the issue, rallied support in opposition to big sugar and ultimately the wording was removed
  • Took Army Corp of Engineers leaders on a 97-mile boat tour of Florida Bay to highlight the critical importance of restoration efforts, operational procedures and policy intended to improve water quality
  • Rallied support for the Army Corp of Engineers LOSOM plan to restrict harmful discharges from Lake O into SWFL
  • Was instrumental in working with the DeSantis administration to secure $2.5 billion over the 4 years of his term for Everglades Restoration and $960 million in funding to protect water resources and restore Florida’s water resources
  • Helped shape the final version of the Army Corp of Engineers LOSOM operating plan and schedule
  • Rallied industry support for conservation and restoration efforts in Florida from such respected companies as Hells Bay, Maverick Boat Company, Costa, SeaDek, YETI, Simms, The Orvis Company, Yamaha, Van-Staal, and many others
  • Lobbied the Florida legislature to help secure over $600 million for Everglades restoration in FY 2021-22; to pass HB 1177 that created the Biscayne Bay Commission as an advisory council within the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and prohibit sewage facilities from discharging waste into Biscayne Bay without providing advanced waste treatment; $20 million in funding for Biscayne Bay; $611 million in funding for Florida Resilient Grant Program; and $100 million in funding for Piney Point clean up
  • Obtain appointment to the Technical Assistance Group (TAG) to assist in developing a new management strategy for safer aquatic plant management in Florida waters (Chris Wittman appointed); rallied public participation in meetings, etc. to address critical questions and influence decisions
  • Took leaders from Miami, Sanibel and Fort Myers on a tour of the Caloosahatchee River to showcase and discuss water quality issues facing this region of Florida and possible solutions
  • Influenced Congressmen Mast and Mucarsel-Powell to work to put pressure on the sugar industry and write a provision to the Water Resources Development Act of 2018, demanding the Army Corp of Engineers totally revamp how they manage Lake Okeechobee. This led to significant changes to the LOSOM, requiring that the Corps reduce toxic discharges to the estuaries.
  • At the 2016 ICAST trade show, CFCW worked with guides and others to write a script and record an “anthem” video highlighting the economic impact on Florida’s economy of the water quality issues. This encouraged such influential guides as Flip Pallot, Rob Fordyce, Dave Mangum, Bear Holeman, Carter Andrews and Benny Blanco to use their voices to speak out against water mismanagement and get the attention of the boating and fishing industry. This in essence turned the water quality crisis from an environment issue into an economic issue. The initial result was passage of SB10 that provided for the establishment of a reservoir and filter marsh to store and clean water in the EAA
  • CFCW took on the Water Resources Development Act, WRDA, stoking the outdoor industry’s gut to bombard congress. Their efforts generated 60,000 emails to senators and congressmen in one week.
  • Even outside of Florida, CFCW has helped. Alaska’s Bristol Bay is an example. CFCW partnered with Save Bristol Bay to release a film about the parallel struggles titled “Everyone in Between”.
  • Took DEP Secretary Noah Valenstein, South Florida Water Management District (SFWMD) Governing Board Chairman Chauncey Goss on a tour ecosystem of Florida. The tour helped showcase a greater understanding of the ecological significance of this water body and further illustrated the link between the Everglades and South Florida’s water quality.
  • Started a relief fund that paid 89 idled fishing guides to clean waterways during COVID
  • Partnered with 4Oceans to launch the Everglades Bracelet designed to raise awareness about the challenges facing the Everglades, empower people to get involved, and take action in the fight for clean water and a clean ocean
  • Replaced Governor DeSantis in giving the “State of the State” speech opening the 2019 legislative session
  • Helped influence passage of the Water Resources Development Act that authorized construction of the EAA reservoir
  • Made countless trips to Tallahassee (and Washington) to attend committee and subcommittee hearings and meet with legislators

Excellent ROI if you ask me.

· Registered
1,598 Posts
That is good information^ worthy of more research as well.

For me I have always struggled with ALL non profits. Not saying they don't have a benefit but sometimes it seems often its just a club for specific people to fish for tarpon and tag them all day every day on your dime.

We donate to a local raptor center because of all the places we looked at it seemed like the money went directly to dealing with issues. When we donate which our business does on a fairly large scale, they show us what they did with the money. I.e. Built shelters, purchase medical supplies so on, we get practically get a receipt. When I approached them, they said come out with all your employees and we will give you a tour show you what we do and meet our employees and birds.

When I was looking for a place to donate to I came across a bull sugar thread on here and commented about purchasing water rights directly from Big sugar or purchasing real estate with water rights and the person representing them on this site shot me down so quick and was like that will just give power to the Sugar companies. Never heard from him again. Not a dm about potential options on the way to support and so on. No it is blindly "Give me you cash and I will be the purveyor of your money." I kinda like to think I have the money to give because I am a good strategist, which is something to give in itself.

· Registered
1,027 Posts
I will try to keep this short and only giving first hand experience. I honestly had not done a ton of research into CFCW until the last few years. I heard both sides of what people said, some good and some bad. So I decided to see for myself. I received a call from another captain and he said, "Can you come to Tallahassee? We are leaving this afternoon." I felt, well what better way to see how this works than in person. I rescheduled my charter for the following day and left. It was about 7hrs. and we got into Tallahassee after midnight and had a 7am meeting the following day at the attorneys office that works with CFCW. I believe approx 40 captains came.

We sat in a Senate appropriations committee meeting. It was eye opening for me as I had never seen or been in something like this. As an outsider looking in, the appropriations committee decides on funding from anything like improvements for handicap access to parks to money to hire people in schools, public transportation or for everglades restoration.

I watched as they went through bill after bill, slinging around 10 of millions of dollars for all kinds of things. They would ask if anyone (the public) had any comments to encourage or argue against. Of maybe 20-25 bills there were 4 other people there. They got their 2 minutes to speak on a bill and they banged the gavel and moved on. I was listening to a number of those discussions and thought, "I would have thought people would have spoke against that" but nothing.

We did go back a few weeks later even after being ridiculed and spoken down to by almost all of the senators on that committee. The next trip more captains came, companies came, more news coverage and adjustments in the bill were made the night before the senate hearing. The things the senators laughed at and said we were clueless and would never change, got changed. Was it because of the people, CFCW, money, secret handshakes...? Not sure, but I did look around to see who was there and who was not. I do not mean people or captains, I mean organizations. Yes, Im sure plenty other people work tirelessly behind the scenes or write checks or whatever but my first hand account was a group of people showed up, spoke up, and things happened.

Again, I am not writing this to take any credit for anything or to be something I am not. I am just pointing out that a lot gets thrown around on social media, forums...etc. Sometimes seeing it person can alter your mindset. If they are not doing something they should, anyone is free to step up.

As for their salary, what should they get paid? They quit a job to do this full time. People get paid $40k to teach our children but $80million to throw a ball. If you are disappointed at CFCW salaries do not go look at CCA Florida salaries.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts