Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

So got a chance to fish Cape San Blas for 3 days. My brother is renting a house for a week and I get to stay with him for a few days before his kids and their families arrive. I've never been there and have no idea what to expect. I'll bring my 20 ft. bay boat which can do a lot of offshore/nearshore stuff but does not have a trolling motor or power pole (take care of that when the budget permits!).

Advice on everything would be appreciated. I saw a boat ramp at Indian Pass..I guess that is the only one around. I'll be there at the end of June, would like to catch trout and Mackeral. Maybe snappers/grunts, etc.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I believe there is also a ramp at the end of the cape at the state park. It's been about 15 years since I've been down there, but worth looking into to see if it's still open

·
Registered
466 Posts
I believe there is also a ramp at the end of the cape at the state park. It's been about 15 years since I've been down there, but worth looking into to see if it's still open

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,194 Posts
Here's the thread and my suggestions to another visitor. The bay boat will work. A drift sock/sea anchor will help.

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/cape-san-blas-tips.81134/#post-778348

Plenty of Spanish and king mackerel around. Get a chart with the artificial reefs and troll or bottom fish. Red snapper season is opening, so that will be the big focus. Lots of mangrove, vermilion snapper as well.

Good ramps at the city park in Port St. Joe along with the ones mentioned in comments. Mexico Beach used to have a couple good ones, too, but I haven't been over there since the hurricane so I don't know current status.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The state park is still recovering from the hurricane, but the day use beach and the launch are open. They have a little snack shop there where you can get ice and such. If you are staying on the cape, that will be the best place to launch. There are grass flats close to the launch and its not a long run oceanside.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There's a nice public ramp in Port St Joe too (other side of the Bay). Tarpon should be along the beach and in the passes. Snapper will be on the artificial reefs and there is a ton of them in front of Mexico Beach. Most within sight of land. If you put in at Indian Pass be wary of the sand bar on the Gulf Side. It bends around so you will need to run along the beach for about 1000 yards before heading out. Trout can be found around any grass flat in the bay. I've always had the most success around Blacks Island which is in the back of it. Pretty place! Not sure if they are open but the Indian Pass oyster bar is a great place to grab some food and a beer too!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. Appreciate the guidance. I found a site that lists the artificial reefs (Gulfgofishing and/orFloridagofishing, something like that). I do appreciate the guidance and I will let you know how it comes out. Wife reminded me, we'll be there July 1-3, something like that. Can't wait to visit the Oyster bar for a beer.
My motor is perfect on the skeg and prop (aluminum prop). I do mean perfect, no dents, paint is perfect. I want to keep it that way for a while at least. I'm going to Biloxi later on and will a visit a guy on Pass Road that sells props from hurricane boats and when there I'll try to get a stainless prop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts