Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cranking and bilge battery is currently located in the back of my boat. Is it possible to move the battery to the front of the boat and then run wiring to the back of the to a positive and negative post and then on to my switches?

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,524 Posts
Sure, just have to calculate wire gauge needed
based on total round trip length and the amperage
needed to power all the equipment..

on line calculator for dc

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great. I could really use the space in the back and balance the boat a little bit better. How do figure the amps?

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,524 Posts
Read the specs for everything hooked up to the circuit
add all the max draw amperages together for the circuit total.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems easy enough. One last question. Where would I find a marine style remote terminal? West marine or such?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Had Tom G move mine this spring. The wire is super heavy and goes thru some kind of breaker he mounted as well. I can send some specs and pics later today if you haven't already figured it all out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah send me some pics. Pretty sure I'm gonna have a pro do it, but would like to have some input on how it runs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
138 Posts
Brandon You are welcome to come over to Burnt Store and take another look at my Banshee - both batteries mounted in the front compartment and the charger and starting batt in the "box" Let me know George

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey George. I may do that. I'll wait til we all get through the holidays. I'm gonna call your guy after the new year and have him do my work.

·
Resin Slinger
533 Posts
you should have a battery switch. it has two posts and should work for your battery.... shouldnt need anything other than the wire and zip ties

·
don't let common sense get in your way
462 Posts
What is the point of a battery swith?
To turn the power to the boat off in case you need to work on something, change a fuse, or keep the boat in the water without causing electrolysis.
could you explain this to me ?

·
don't let common sense get in your way
462 Posts
What is the point of a battery swith?

battery switch - shuts down power to the boat's systems - except for the auto bilge function

allways a good move to have a battery switch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts