Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Google-Fu has failed me in ID'ing this box.
Like many things Flip uses, it may be a home made box.
I really like the way foam holds the hooks. Would seem to reduce corrosion.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
That fly is badass! I would love to catch a bonefish on that fly...I like the more weird fly ideas out there for certain fish, very simple too. I might have to make an olive one and see if a redfish will eat it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a regular ass plastic box
Not so helpful rod and gun!

Thanks to others for the comments.

Checked out the wife's yoga mats and not enough protrusion in the foam to hold a hood.

I have some friends working at 3M, will check in with them.

This is probably a box that Flip hacked to hold the hook as such. And, I like the retention a lot as some of my hooks develop corrosion since I tie so many of the same pattern.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It is a fresh water trout box. Used to be sold under the MillStream name. Not sure now. The bottom is nubby tack. Common for Dry Flies and Nymphs. I sold these boxes for about 20 years. They have become somewhat obsolete since silicone slit boxes came out.
Insert joke about things being obsolete since silicone slits became available.

Seriously though, awesome to have guys like you with some deep running knowledge of the industry!!!

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,142 Posts
Those squirmy worm pieces don’t move hardly at all, I don’t like flies that don’t move.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Have one just like it except for color and its plastic with a metal rod for a hinge. Mine says LL Bean and was made in USA.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

Definitely appears to be Nubby Tack material lining the box.

Indeed, Nubby Tack appears to be a bygone product. Only a few vendors carrying Millstream Nubby Tack boxes popped on Goggle and they are in Canada and the EU.

I found more than a few comments regarding rusting hooks using Nubby Tack foam. So perhaps that is why Nubby Tack has been replaced by Ripple foam. Several old comments on the web regarding buying a sheet of the foam, but, Millstream never sold Nubby Tack by the sheet. Unlike now Millstream sells replacement ripple foam for boxes.

Thanks again for the help!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
I would experiment with the carpet stuff mentioned earlier in the thread. Cut to size and glue in...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts