Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by flyfisheraa573, Apr 20, 2013.

1. flyfisheraa573

flyfisheraa573 Well-Known Member

Okay the question on deck is "can it be done?"

What you may ask?

A 14'+ skiff, bare bones to keep weight down, pushed by a 3hp motor, light enough to be flipped upside down, picked up and put on a 6' roof rack......and be structurally strong enough to handle the rigors or traveling in said manner, and handle two fishermen?

And before someone says it....I don't want a Gheenoe....I respect the product, but don't want one.

I'm thinking home built....

Something along the lines of this (see link below),but without the storage compartments...storage under deck is okay, but no lids...poling platform will be removable

http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1477

Brett, Firecat, and anyone else.....hit away....

And thanks for any and all (positive) input!

2. flyfisheraa573

I guess basically a stripped down version of a ECC Gladesman, Or Hell's Bay Glades Skiff...but built at home

3. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Anything that can do what you describe will look suspiciously canoe-like and be stoopid simple with no decks/platforms in order to conserve weight and keep the COG low.  A riveted 14' x 36 jon boat would suffice, but the hull speed will be lower than other options and it would be more awkward to lift to the rack.

In your case, here is one good option...

[​IMG]

This the Cajun Skiff from Gator Boat Co.  Here is the link: http://www.gatorboats.com/Pirogue-Boat-Plans.htm.

However, if you are really feeling adventurous, consider this...

[​IMG]

That is a CAD diagram of a Skin on Frame pirogue from Kudzu Craft.  Due necessities of the build technique, this hull does not have a flat bottom.  I've put a lot of recent thought in to this and I am very confident I could make a flat-back version that could handle a 2-3 HP outboard.  The designer is a very cool guy, but he will not recommend a motor on it at all.  You'd have to figure out the conversion on your own.  SOF hulls are tougher than popular opinion would lead you to believe and merit consideration if you are thinking of car topping a boat.  Here is the link http://www.kudzucraft.com/designs/crawfish-tandem/.

And another...

[​IMG]

This is the Bateau Honker.  It weighs 110# per the spec sheet, so it might be touch heavy to lift, but it is definitely car top-able: http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=HK15#.UXNbqsrp-O4.

Yet another...

[​IMG].

This is the Bayou Skiff from Uncle John's Store:http://unclejohns.com/bysk14/Default.htm

How about a production boat?

[​IMG]

Ron Chapman makes good hulls in my experience: http://www.pirogue.com/mudbug.htm.

All of these options will be cozy with two people, but it could be done so long as you packed light, aren't fat, paid attention to where your pole was and had decent balance.

Good luck.  I'll be looking out for your build.

Nate

4. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

There are many options that might work for you, and car topping something when you have 2 people makes it much easier.

If you are only going to have a 3hp motor then you want to find something that will move very efficiently with little power. A canoe/gheenoe type hull is the first thing that comes to mind, but not for everyone. Getting on plane is pretty much not going to happen, but you can still move well through the water with a displacement hull.

The FL12 or FL14 would be a decent option and will move great with that motor, but with a flat bottom it won't pole as nicely as some of the commercial hulls. It would do better than a jon boat and be quieter. It is fairly lightweight, simple to build and customize and would be easy to car top.
    http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/FL14_study.htm?prod=FL14

5. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Certainly it can be done.

My two concerns are not for the build itself but are 1) the roof rack. Not many vehicles have roof racks meant for any other purpose than cosmetic. 2) getting it on the vehicle. Two people could do it but one would be tough and anything that long is going to be ackward to handle.

In order to keep the weight down you will need to build it sparse and that will play into the longevity. However with regular maintenance it would last a long time.

Anytide built one out of wood and screws and painted it with a can of returned house paint two years ago and still going strong (no glass or epoxy - just wood and paint). He pushes his with a 2.5hp. He does use a trailer though.

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Easy to build a skin over frame hull.
    Weight will be minimal, basically a squaretail kayak.

7. flyfisheraa573

Okay...first off, thanks to all for your responses...that's why I love this board...it helps me consider things that I hadn't previously....

I'll try to answer things in order...Nate, I like all of those, but I'm thinking a stripped down version of a FS18, but in the 14' to 16' range. Think WAY bare bones.

Duck nut...true on the roof rack...but I should have clarified...this will be a steel roof rack on an expo trailer...height of the roof rack will be at most 5' off the ground...and on the back side it will have rollers, so once it is flipped, it will roll up at an angle on and then settle flat on padded cross bars, off of the rollers. (It's an idea I stole off of my drift boat trailer). The trailer will be either 6' or 8' in length, and be based off a design of a M416 military trailer, but with a lid and rack. Most guys put RTT's on them, so I know it should support more than 250#, which I hope to be well under that.

Firecat, I suggested a 3hp, only because I have one not being used...I would be open to a 9.9...something light enough to be stored. Not necessarily looking to get on plane or be a speed demon.

Brett, I like that idea, it's close to what Nate was suggesting.

I have looked at sit on top kayaks, on which you could stand, but honestly I want to option of my wife or one of my kids fishing with me.

Okay, I think I covered all of your topics....

So, batter up! Keep it coming, great stuff, and thank you!

8. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Skin over frame construction has always fascinated me.
    Complex curves without all the fairing, using fiberglass cloth and a staple gun.

This project is one I keep looking at and thinking about trying... :-?

http://www.capefalconkayak.com/adirondackguideboat.html

9. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Brett has too much time on his hands...

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

True, true...since giving up using hooks,
    I no longer have to waste all that extra time
    reeling fish in and turnin' 'em loose.
    Amazing how much daylight that saves each day
    that can be better spent burning ammo and thinkin' about boats... ;)

11. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

I have built a Jim Michalak design to do about what you want. http://jimsboats.com/ The model I built was "The Rogue" which I increased by 15%. Using epoxy and 5 mm meranti ply the weight was less than most 12' aluminum boats. A 2 hp to 3.5 hp engine would move it easily with 2 people on board. I never had any trouble with it except one day in the NMZ when the wind came up and we had to row into it for about 3 miles. Got wet, but still felt safe.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

12. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

I am pretty sure you just described the pelican ambush.

13. flyfisheraa573

CW....

That is pretty dang close...I'd forgotten about that...thanks for the reminder!

I'm wondering if I can mix that design with the "la Flaca" and get somewhere in between?

14. CurtisWright

Probably.   The La Flaca is a glass over wood boat.  It will be difficult to make it light enough to carry and load in your truck. 

Are you wanting to build it yourself? 

15. flyfisheraa573

CW...yeah, I'm pushing the weight limit...but I'm hoping if I strip enough off of it, I can get it sub 175-ish....w/o the motor obviously...I was hoping for lighter, but I may be chasing unicorns...

And, yes, I'd like to build it with my two sons...what they don't know is that when we finish, it's theirs....

16. flyfisheraa573

Btw....two words....

Marsh Hen

I'm thinking something like that...Dragonfly Marsh Hen

17. CurtisWright

Ok.  There is a wooden solo skiff build in the bragging section you could read up on for ideas.   There is also one titled swamp canoe that is glass over wood. 

The ultimate would be to build one like forum member Little did with his one off skiff.  Its also posted in the bragging section.  Its a glass over PVC foam core boat.  You could probably make a lighter 13' version of it.

If you want to build a Fiberglass marsh hen, then you could build a plug like I have been doing in my Fowl River 16 in the braging section, make a mold, then lay a fiberglass boat. I have about $6,000 in my entire project for a 16' boat. BTW, there are a million ways to make a plug, I used cabinet grade plywood and sheetrock mud. Just what I was familiar with.

18. mudd_minnow

mudd_minnow BE THE LURE

Here is an idea you might consider
    I found this zodiac boat. I'll bet you could convert this to a polling skiff by adding some type of platform or even a plat form for construction from Northern tool.

[​IMG] :mad:

19. flyfisheraa573

I'm sorry, did I miss something? If I have some how made a error in my request, please let me know. If I somehow missed your point, please explain.

My request for this type of boat is legitimate...albeit to some might seem stupid. My reasons are not (to me at least).

20. hookemdano

hookemdano Well-Known Member

It seems like this is what you described.

http://spearflatsskiffs.com/?p=236#more-236