Can I epoxy coat PT wood?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by TomFL, May 23, 2011.

1. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Looking to build an outdoor work surface out of PT. Want to have the top smooth, can I epoxy coat it or is that useless with PT???

-T

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Yes you can coat PT lumber.
    Is it worth the expense for a workbench?
    Might be easier to throw a layer of formica on it.

previous post...

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1305838422

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

You are a printer, find another sign maker that you can buy a sheet of MDO or HDO. Made for outdoor use and even MDO is denser than plywood. And you don't even need epoxy and cheap.

4. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Sounds great :)

might make a great removable Deck !

Overlaid Plywood
    MDO Medium Density Overlaid
    MDO Plywood - The Paintable General Purpose Panel

Characteristics: An EXTERIOR type plywood with a weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. This process fuses the molecules of the overlay with the fibres of the wood to form a bond as strong as the wood itself. MDO has all the advantages of regular plywood as well as additional properties. The overlay, which has 28% resin content, resists water, weather, wear and degradation. It has texture that paint can grip with remarkable tenacity. Paint finishes on MDO are up to three times more durable than the same finish applied to ordinary plywood.Ideal for Painted Signs: In many instances, overlaid MDO plywood has proven a more durable sign material than metal. MDO plywood is resistant to the elements with no danger of rust or corrosion.

5. Gator_Bob

Gator_Bob Well-Known Member

Get a 4 x 8 sheet of one inch PVC or 1 x 8 Azek for the top. You will have to reinforce under the PVC with 2x's. I have also used composite deck boards with the radius edges cut off. I always use the plastic biscuits to join the boards.

6. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Azek is great stuff. I call for it on some renovation jobs that I do. You might also wanna look into starboard. I'm not fond of PT board being used on anything that you will be in close contact with for prolonged periods of time. It does off-gas a bit so I wouldn't completely encapsulate it.