Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what skiff I want to go with. It will be used mostly on lakes & coastal NC with occasional trips down to SWFL. I also intend on using this boat to duck hunt with at the coast. I want a boat that I can use all year where I can have it loaded down with gear/decoys but also take it down to the 10k islands.

I have been going back and forth with Rose and I have it narrowed down to either the CC tav with poling platform and a few other extras or a heron 16 lodge tiller and they come out to around the same price.
The wait time on the Tav is about 12 months, the heron is around 18.

I honestly prefer the look of the heron 16, but I think the Tav 17 with a 50hp & CC is priced great. Seems like both hulls are more on the dry side but maybe the tav is a little better in chop?

Feel free to share your experiences if you own one of these beautiful skiffs!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
462 Posts
I don't have either one so can't weigh in with personal experience, but considering a CC vs. a tiller seems to be a bit of a apples to oranges comparison. Seems like you're wanting utility, no frills on a budget. If you're going to be making some longer runs, I would go CC all day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have either one so can't weigh in with personal experience, but considering a CC vs. a tiller seems to be a bit of a apples to oranges comparison. Seems like you're wanting utility, no frills on a budget. If you're going to be making some longer runs, I would go CC all day.
Yeah it’s only a difference of $1,000 more for the Tav so im really leaning towards it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
But if you are not going to be spending the majority of your time getting skinny, then go with the better all round boat which I would say is the Tavernier. Now if you lived in SW FL it might be a different story.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you going to have enough room for gear and decoys and guns and stuff in the Tavernier?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you going to have enough room for gear and decoys and guns and stuff in the Tavernier?
I think so,

i really like the layout of this one here. I may see if they can do something similar with a remote steering setup.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
169 Posts
If you plan on poling the boat then I would go with the heron, but otherwise Id say go with the tavernier. Seems like it would be easier to setup the tavernier skiff for duck hunting and would probably carry a heavier load better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts